Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

(HELLLLP)Cayenne pepper Lemon juice diet
cle123 posted:
I have a couple of questions about the cayenne pepper diet. I am thinking of trying the diet after success from the diet by famous actors and also my mother lost 10 pounds in 10 days. My questions are:
a) Is the diet healthy (meaning can I lose weight safely)?
b) Can I eat fruit and/or vegetables when I get hungry or am I supposed to not eat at all?
c) Will the diet cause me to have the symptoms of hunger (growling stomach, headaches, low energy)?
and lastly
d) When I am done with the 2 week diet, how do I continue to keep the weight off?

I am really only lookingfor answers from experienced professionals or someone who knows about the cayenne pepper lemon juice diet and not just opinions. Thanks everyone (and please try to answe every part of the question I really need help before I try this)

All_is_One responded:
This sounds like a crash diet to me. I'm not an expert, but any diet that isn't full of a balanced portion of different foods is not healthy.

If it involves cutting out certain vital nutrients at any interval in the diet, you will lose weight, that is until you begin eating regularly. In fact, if you starve your body it actually slows down your metabolism.

I highly recommend looking into the mediterranean diet. Its not a specific diet, but rather the eating habits of those who live in the Mediterranean Sea area. Its high in fruits, veggies, nuts/seeds, healthy oil, whole grains, cold water fish, milk/cheeses, and even red wine at most meals (in moderation of course).

This is a lifestyle change. Its not necessarily about removing certain foods but rather incorporating more healthy eating habits slowly into your current diet and just cutting down on the 'bad' foods like high sodium, high saturated/trans fats, and the like.

If you're looking for a quick fix to lose quick pounds, crash diets will do the job, but at a price (fatigue, headaches, low energy, less efficient body system function in general, etc).

Good luck!

CygnusWomyn responded:
This is not a diet, it is a cleanse called the Master Cleanse and is meant to clean out and reset your entire digestive tract. Some people use cleanses as a part of spiritual practice which is what attracted me. It is not meant for weight loss although since it has caught on with some starlets as a crash way to drop water weight.

I have done a complete cycle on the master cleanse. It is very rigorous. I started with 7 other people only one of whom had done the cleanse before. On the evening of the second night I became very ill with flu like symptoms. Chills, shakes, cold sweats, it was very unpleasant but I bundled up and rode it out. The morning of the 3rd day only myself and the one person who had done the cleanse before were still on the cleanse. The others had hit the ill portion which the cleanse claims if your body releasing toxins but is more likely to be your body rebelling against the strange and harsh electrolytic imbalance. The two of us finished the complete cycle of the cleanse together.

The rest of the cleanse went very smoothly for me. I was tired and got very scattered and mentally off balance. By the 5th day I decided that it was not safe for me to be operating a motor vehicle because of my altered state of consciousness. Note that I did the cleanse during a time when I was completely free for two weeks so that I did not have to work, exercise, keep social engagements etc.

I enjoyed most of my experience with the cleanse and it was interesting from a spiritual point of view. That said I would never again undertake such an extreme program a second time. For me, it was like climbing Mt.Everest. I wanted to see if I could do it. Now that I know I can, I have no reason to repeat the process. If genuine weight loss is your goal, the Master Cleanse will be a total failure as you will regain the weight as soon as you begin to eat your "normal" diet. Choose a program designed for weight loss instead.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
We have an expert review of this diet, including a number of respected professionals quoted and more particulars:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-lemonade-diet-master-cleanse-diet

I strongly encourage you to read the whole article including the dangers, cautions, and the possible outcomes.
~Louise Senior Community Moderator

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Just discovered an amazing weight loss aid for someone with a sweet tooth
The biggest struggle I am facing while trying to lose a couple of pounds, is craving to sweets. I recently discovered a wonderful product, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.