Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Calorie Count
UGA1980 posted:
I use the WebMD BMI Plus Calculator to get my daily target calorie intake to lose two pounds a week. I exercise an hour a day and burn around five hundred calories. Should I subtract the five hundred from the daily target calorie intake and use that number or not?

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
If you included the exercise when you filled it out-then no, don't add the calories. In fact, even if you didn't don't add the calories until you get a grasp on whether you are losing weight too fast. Use the one given for at least three weeks to see how you are doing--too fast--you need more calories. Too slow--you overestimated the calorie burn with your exercise or general level of activity.
~Louise Senior Community Moderator

UGA1980 replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
I put myself at very active in the calculator. I am not sure that is right. I exercise an hour a day, six days a week on an elliptical. I have a desk job during the day. That's the reason i didn't put extremely active. Is that right? My calorie intake now is 2192. I do not subtract my daily exercise calories from that. I am having a lot of problem with hunger so I thought maybe it's because I don't eat enough by not subtracting the calories from exercise. I have lost 70 pounds, but I am not losing much right now. There is not really a place to put exercise in the calculator. So I should stick with my daily intake calories from the calculator without figuring in exercise?

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to UGA1980's response:
In the calculator I would put yourself as lightly active. An hour a day isn't considered very active, especially with a desk job. Very active is several hours a day at a very intense level. (Exercise is calculated through the activity level choice.)

Hunger-

How tall are you? How much do you weigh? How old are you? Male or female?

What foods are you eating currently? How many calories did you eat before your weight loss slowed down?
~Louise Senior Community Moderator

I am Male, 6-1, 194, 39 yrs old. Low fat eating, Counting calories and exercising everyday except Sunday. I was eating about the same as now.

I am not sure that lightly active will work That drops me to 1500 calories. If I don't get the calories i am at now i get very weak when i exercise. I also work from home so i am constantly up doing something, moving around or going somewhere with two kids, not just always sitting at a desk. Sorry i might have led you the wrong way there. I chose very active because of the explanation of that level on the food and fitness planner site. I also exercise with a heart rate of 145 for an hour.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
196 of 241 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.