Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
I'm hungry. Help! :)
cecillia0214 posted:
For the past month I have had a goal of eating 1600 calories/day, which I have not been able to meet until yesterday. I was probably eating about 1900 - 2200 on average day before this goal. I have been hitting 1800 occasionally, but 1600 seemed impossible. So yesterday - I finally did it. But I was soooooo hungry.

In the past - working out alone was enough for me to lose weight, but in the past 2 years I realized that I need to cut calories too. But this is all new to me. Is being hungry normal or does that mean that I am just no eating enough? Does your body adjust? What can you do to make yourself feel less hungry? Any suggestions on how to better manage the intake? Am I counting the calories correctly?

Here's what I ate:

9:30am Breakfast: wheat cereal with skim milk and fresh berries
(150 cal)

1pm: snack - turkey slices with provolone
(300 Calories)

2:30pm - salad with feta cheese, walnuts, veggies and balsamic vinegar)
(400 calories)

*By 4pm - I was hungry had not felt full all day, but was close to my limit - I had some tea.

5pm - snack - carrots and 1/4 tlbs of peanut butter
(100 calories)

By 6 I was hungy and knew I would not be eating dinner until after 9

8 - couldn't take it - had some crackers and hummus (which meant skiimping on dinner fixins).
(100 calories)

9:30 - dinner - rice and beans, some baked chicken and 1 glass of wine (it's my 1 indulgence of the day)
(550 calories)

I'll never last if I am hungy ALL day. Any suggestions? Thanks!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jis4judy responded:
Hi are you weighing and measureing the foods ?
focusing on fruits and vegies can help keep you full..
I notice you have not many vegies and fruit you mention vegies in salad and carrots with humus...
are you sure of the amount of cereal you are haveing with breakfast
I use fitday.com to log everything I eat I weigh all my meats and nuts and fruits on a food scale.. I eyeball my vegies

fitday can help you see if you are short on any nutrient ..
I do know I had false hunger cravings for thing I should avoid that wasn;t hunger it was brain hunger my brain was telling me I need whatever it was I was craveiing I had to distract myself with some mind useing chore or hobby

I try to focus on nutrition and a life style change I can live with for life .. dieting stinks maybe you coould try eating 1800 1 day and 1600 the next and so on that may help I would caution you about the wine it really doesn;t help in weight removal .

Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 153ish remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey! life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

cecillia0214 replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks for your response. I forgot to mention that there was steamed broccoli with the dinner - so that was a little more in veggies. I could certainly try to add more. I love vegetables but thought that it would not leave me as full as a protein.

Yes, I am working on the wine, but at the moment - I find that it really helps curb my post-dinner sweet tooth! I have been measuring my pours though and trying to stick 3 ounces (about 75 calories), which is much better than a 300 calorie dig in the ice cream bowl. But long term, this is an easy way to cut calories, so I should.

I measure some things, but I have not measured my cereal. I should.

The cravings vs. true hunger is hard to tell, but I felt like it was true hunger.

jis4judy replied to cecillia0214's response:
Hi I sometimes still get what I call the hungry horrors
every now and then I feel like I am starveing and the reason I call it false hunger is when I eat it doesn;t go away ... I have to make friends with hunger and tolerate it .. many time I will sit watching TV mentally talking to myself saying you are not hungry you ate a lot allready over and over again .. I do believe some of this comes from being tired and mistakeing tired for hungry ...
I use measureing cup for my cereal I eat approx 3/4 C of cereal 3 oz berries 1/2 C fat free milk and an approx 6 oz orange for breakfast and my breakfast is about 300 cals I also sprinkle some cinnamon on my cereal makes it taste better.
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 153ish remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey! life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

snake_piss responded:
You're eating very well, but I see two reasons why you're hungry:

1) You're not eating enough protein and,
2) Space between snacks is erratic

High protein intake reduces hunger. No one really knows why but it does work as I'm on a high protein diet now. Eat a lot of protein for breakfast. Add eggs, fat-free cottage cheese, fish, tofu if you like it, low fat yogurt, granola, and pretty much any bean to your diet. All of which are high in protein, and low in fat and zero in sugar.

You should be eating six times a day: 3 meals and 3 snacks in even intervals. You went 3 1/2 hours without eating in the morning, and then about 1 1/2 between snacks in the after noon. You confuse your brain when you have erratic schedules like that so you'll get hungry at inconvenient times, like when you want to go to bed. If you space snacks and meals evenly, you'll be on a predictable schedule where you'll know when you'll be hungry next. Also, it's a good thing to eat a snack before your hungry, just like you should be drinking water before you get thirsty. A good snack is something nutritious and easy to digest, like a cup of yogurt or an apple. These snacks will carry you over until your next meal and they won't add many calories.

Jis4Judy's suggestion of eating more vegetables is a good tip, I'm a weekday vegetarian so practice this myself. A lot of raw vegetables can't be digested completely by humans, you're body will just absorb the nutrients and pass the rest. Meat, however, is almost completely absorbed. It's harder to convert a plant into flesh than it is convert flesh into flesh.

Good luck!

cecillia0214 replied to snake_piss's response:
That's great advice. I will try to work some of that in next week. I usually have hard boiled eggs sometimes because they keep me full for a while, but I'm not very creative with beans and rarely have cottage cheese. I will try those.

I'll work on the timing. That makes sense. If I usually a eat a big lunch then my body is probably prepared for that and got thrown off. (You just reminded me this happened to me a while ago. Due to a few lifestyle changes, I started eating dinner about 2 hours later than I had for much of my life. For the first few months - no matter what I did I was always starving at the previous dinner time. But overtime, I adjusted and now I don't get hungry until the proper time.)

Thanks so much!

An_202161 replied to snake_piss's response:
Most of that's true...

Except that people eat cooked meat, and when meat is cooked the enzymes die making the meat of absolutely no nutritional value. So in order to digest it your body works extra extra hard pulling from the few enzymes it naturally produces, which wears you out and is really no good. What really happens, since meat has NO fiber content and no nutrition, is it sits and rots in your colon until you've eaten enough fiber and drank enough water to push it through.

Fruits and veggies digest fairly quickly, the extra that you pass is called fiber and is good for you. It's what keeps you full and cleans the pipes. Not everything is supposed to be absorbed. When eaten raw you get the most nutrients and enzymes from them, so eat 'em raw as much as possible and try to get a good variety too.

Too much protein gets turned into fat. So consume accordingly to how active you are. If you eat a lot of protein you want to make sure to burn it off.

A good diet takes some practice and research, so just keep workin at it you'll get there!

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi Cecilia and thanks so much for your posting. Good for you to be working hard to make healthier lifestyle changes. Like so many people out there, you've learned the hard way that ther eis an energy balance equation involved in weight management--- you have to honor BOTH how much you eat and how much energy you expend.

OK, I can see some areas where you can refine. Here are my recommendations:

1) Eat roughly every 3-4 hours, eat breakfast earlier and your late night dinner is way too late. Try to end your eating no later than 8PM each night if at all possible.
2) Eat more protein. At every meal bump up the protein. A simple bran like cereal and milk is not satisfying to most people. Have three hard boiled eggs, or a 3 egg white omelette, or oatmeal with a scoop of vanilla flavored whey protein powder, or a protein shake with berries, skim milk/yogurt and a scoop of whey protein powder. Your having a snack when you should be having lunch. Your lunch has almost no protein in it except a little from the cheese. Put the turkey or chicken or salmon on the salad and then you have a decent lunch.
3) Don't be afraid of healthy fats like peanut butter, nuts, avocado and lite cheese throughout the day. Fat is very satisfying and filling.
4) blow off bread, pasta, rice and potato for a while to de-bloat, and then only introduce the whole grain varieties. Eating one of these at dinner keeps you bloated so watch your portions very carefully.

Bottom line is fix your daily time clock and get your eating times earlier. Eat more protein and fat combinations for greater satisfcation. It'll save you calories as well.

Good luck!

Dr Peeke

cecillia0214 replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I had an egg with cheese for breakfast today and I felt full for longer than when I have cereal, so I didn't need a late morning snack. I had salmon, brown rice and a side salad for lunch.

My snacks were
- lowfat yogurt and berries
- just a few carrots and hummus

I didn't feel nearly as hungry and I had consumed fewer calories than I had at this time last week.

1curiouscat responded:
I am going to try a suggestion from Dr.Oz. It sounds total doable and good for you.
You eat a big breakfast ( the most calories of all meals).
A average lunch and a small well rounded dinner.

A woman had broke her foot and couldn't get around well. She ended up sleeping like all day and when she woke up in the morning, she hopped to the fridge to find whatever was easiest and it was last nights leftovers. She was so hungry she ate a whole meal. Later in the day she had a salad and fruit for lunch and by dinner she was hardly hungry.
She ended up eating this way while she healed and she found herself losing weight even though she wasn't restricting her food intake.
Dr Oz said this is why it is recommended to eat this way and it doesn't matter if you eat dinner for breakfast and vice versa.

Sounds logical to me and that it might work for me also. I am always wanting to eat!

Well, Good Luck

Cathy

ligerber responded:
If you follow a low carbohydrate weight loss regimen you will not be hungry, you will not need to count calories, you will lose weight just as well or maybe better, and your blood lipids will have a more favorable profile so it is "heart healthy" after all.

There is no reason to be hungry while losing weight.

If 50% or more of your calories come from carbohydrates you will continue to have insulin surges and "cravings". Once you go low carb, lower and even out your insulin levels, you will burn fat more effectively, and wont have the hunger pains.

Also you need to get enough high quality protein with branch chain amino acids to preserve, and rebuild your muscles. With low calorie dieting you may burn lean body mass, and in turn lower your metabolism. This is how the "yo yo" gets started. You get off the low calories cause you cant stand it anymore, then regain what you lost, and MORE!

With low carb you can eat meat, fish, eggs, cheese and not be hungry, and do your lean body mass a favor at the same time.

You like veggies? Great, because leafy greens and non-starchy vegetables are part of it, in fact certain veggies you have to eat every day.

White stuff: flour, starch, rice, pasta, refined sugars are all OUT! But in case you haven't figured this out, no matter what you do, if you gained weight, and are having a hard time getting it off, no matter what you do, you have to rid yourself of the bad stuff that you put into your mouth.

So give it a try, just for 2 weeks, try the low carb method. The really low carb induction phase isnt forever. Just long enough to get the fat off. Then you graduate to a carb controlled mediterranean type of diet. Yummy, and you know what to do to keep the fat from coming back.

I'm not going back. I'm there and glad of it.

Good luck to you

Try it , for just maybe 2 weeks. Just think, how is the diet youre doing now working out for you?

ligerber replied to 1curiouscat's response:
Sounds logical but proven wrong, at least for those of us who are over 30 years old. Your protein metabolism requires a minimum "bolus" of proteins digested to signal the body to restore and rebuild the muscle that is continuously being broken down and rebuilt.

For an average adult about 30 grams of protein per meal is necessary, and of this there should be about 2.5 gms of branch chain amino acids particularly leucine to catalyze the muscle building reactions. So for each meal, at least three times a day, it is optimal to include 5-6 ounces of high quality protein, and it might help to add it within one hour of heavy exercise.

It has been shown experimentally that weight loss is improved and muscle metabolism is better with the 3 equal boluses. Two small portions and one larger portion just doesnt get the same results.

Try googling leucine, mTor, branch chain amino acids, protein metabolism to learn more.

Tomato05 replied to ligerber's response:
I agree with you on eliminating the starchy stuff. It makes our bodies work so hard (having to pump out all that insulin), raising all kinds of inflammatory risk.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP replied to cecillia0214's response:
Hi Cecelia. I'm glad that you are increasing the amount of healthy fat and lean protein. That's how to curb your appetite as well as quell any hunger. Also, try adding whey protein powder to your foods (like belnding with your oatmeal). Make protein shakes as a snack--- just 6-8 ozs does the trick. Use a scoop (10-20 gr protein) with fresh fruit and water or skim milk and you have a delicious nutritious and filling snack.

Keep up the great work.

Dr Peeke

Rolfen responded:
It will pass. When I started my diet, I was starving the first day, and even so on the second day, but to a lesser extent. I recommend to keep it simple. Salad and lean white meat twice a day, if you can. Beware of rich and sweet foods, they will kill the hunger for a little while but then it will be back with a vengeance. Also beware of snacks. The hunger goes away after a while. Snacks will bring it back. I also find calorie counting to be depressing and tedious, so I avoid this by "keeping it simple" (and strict). Also do your homework and observe yourself, how you feel, your weight, etc, and adjust your diet accordingly from day to day.
Keep trying, don't just give up when you binge. I've had a handful of binges, but each ones was smaller then the one before. Now I barely do that and would barely enjoy it. If I had given up the whole thing at my first binge, like I used to do before, I'd still be at my old weight.
And above all: know that you're not alone.

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 49 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.