Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
How long does it take for supplements to leave the system?
An_202171 posted:
Ive been taking some appetite suppressants but I'm having to get ready and take some medications for other health reasons and I dont want to have them mix and do something they aren't supposed to, so I was wondering what the length of time it takes for supplements (pills, diet pills, medications, etc.) to leave the body?

Take the Poll

What piece of gym equipment do you use the most?
  • Treadmill
  • Elliptical
  • Stairmaster
  • Weights
  • Bicycle
vote
View Poll Results

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks so much for your posting. First, I'm not a real fan of any of these over the counter or prescription meds. They usually just depress appetite short term and most of the time people develop a resistance to their effects anyway. The suppressants usually have a short life--- over the course of 24-48 hours. However, I have no idea what you're taking. There are countless appetite suppressants on the market. I'd need to know precisely what's in the ones you're taking. Most have some kind of amphetamine derivative.

It is for this reason that I'm concerned that you have other health issues. Most of the appetite meds are contraindicated if you have high blood pressure or heart issues. As well, many of them adversely interact with a whole host of medications out there.

Please don't be playing poly-pharmacy on your own. Please work with your medical team and tell them what you're taking so that you can all work together for the best outcome.

Hey, I have a radical idea. Instead of popping pills, join us on this board and on WebMD and let's team together to do more physical activity and eat more heathfully so that you can shed those excess fat pounds, get healthy and get on with life. You game?

Dr Peeke

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

peparing breakfast the night before
I can plan my breakfast in advance and plan ahead , "when awake". This way one can decide the proper nutrients . More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.