Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Gall Bladder removal, and knowing how to go about recovering a diet from it without pain.
Melchiah3000 posted:
a while back someone i know had her gall bladder removed, she recovered from it and what not, the pain that she was having a lot of before the removal was obviously gone but we found out after a few times of her eating sausage something i normally made quite often that it would cause her quite a bit of pain. we thought maybe it was just that, but other things made her not feel too well either not nearly as bad as the sausage but still not like she should feel after eating a basic meal. recently she decided to work on her diet and exercise I told her I'd help her with her exercise routine since I'm a certified personal trainer. and I can help with her diet. I decided to look up some info on what should be looked at for meals and diets for someone that has no gall bladder, and this is some info I found just incase there is anyone else out there struggling with the same pain as her, I was looking for a discussion about this topic on webmd but was unable to locate one for a little while. http://www.ehow.com/how_4487458_eat-after-getting-gallbladder-removed.html Is the page I found with a good idea of what to go by. I found it through the ehow website as you can see. seems very helpful and with a few other googles on different foods and related foods you can map out a decent diet for yourself if you know what to look for (googleing "daily carb intake/protein intake/fat intake. as well as healthy foods) some quick foods that seem good for carbs rice, sweet potatoes. protein: chicken fish turkey. fats from the meats just listed as well as a flaxseed oil supplement once a day will take care of your fats without overdoing it for your gall bladder. but as the link above describes there's other things to look at as well.

Hope this helps :-)

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
HI there and thanks so much for your posting. Lots of people have had their gall bladders removed. The bile from the GB emulsifies fat making it easier to be absorbed by the body. That's why after having your GB removed, you can't just go whole hog and have a very high fat meal. You'll pay for it in pain for sure. I want to congratulate you on being so proactive in finding these sites to be able to help your client. As well, I would highly recommend WebMD's resources as we have various blogs and column content on this very issue.

The key is to watch the total fat content of the diet, keeping it under control and clearly prioritizing healthy fats, like the flaxseed. You want to include nuts, avocado, peanut and almond butters, hummus and lite dairy as well. Just watch the quantities.

Good luck

Dr Peeke

ThisOldSpouse replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
What about those of us who haven't had their gall bladder removed? Apparently this is an "elective" procedure so until I can pay for it I'm stuck with my gall bladder, stones and all. So how can I plan meals that won't send me to the ER? I was just in the hospital for 2 days with pancreatitis, and now I'm practically afraid to eat anything. But there's nothing online to guide me!

Melchiah3000 replied to ThisOldSpouse's response:
I was looking into it more, if you go to your local nutrition store (I personally go to House of Fitness because they do a great job explaining anything I might have a question about) you can most likely get some kind of information on healthy foods to eat, off the top of my head i know turkey, chicken, fish are good sources of protein that don't have much fat, with the chicken it'd probably be best to bake it, I normally put it on a cookie sheet with the cooling racks on top and bake them that way so the fat drips off. good sources of carbs would be brown rice, red potatoes, yams. you can also do most vegetables. for fats, (something you wanna be very careful with, this is the cause of most of your pain) I personally take a flax seed oil and fish oil from the grocery store. and the oils from the tuna and fats from the meats listed above should be enough to cover the days requirements. staying away from dairy is always a good idea to start off with too. I hope this helps, I know it's not an expert opinion but It's what I've seen work so far. my friend does this "diet" here and there and does better then she falls off the wagon and starts hurting again. it's gonna be harder to deal with if you have it in still. so be cautious of the fats you put in your body.

Melchiah3000 replied to ThisOldSpouse's response:
Also Pamela, I just came across this book called Prescription for Nutritional Healing. In there is a section on the gallbladder. they give a good amount of information on exactly how it works and what it does for you, also tells you somethings that might help fight off the "attacks" you can have from what you eat. Might be beneficial to at least look through it if not go get this book. I hope this helps. I'm on an on going search to help my friend If i get any other forms of information I'll gladly post them here from now on.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP replied to ThisOldSpouse's response:
Hi and thanks for your posting. The key thing to remember is that the gall bladder's job is to produce the bile that helps to emulsify fat so that it can be absorbed by the body. Keeping things calmed down and in a steady state with no radical disruptions is critical to allowing for optimal function of the gall bladder. When people deliberately undereat to drop weight, which is typically low fat, and then break that "diet" and overeat lots of fat, you overburden your gall bladder and can inflame it and/or cause a stone to become mobilized and potentially obstructed in the duct. YoYo dieting does this. Keeping your fat intake steady (at about 25% intake per day) is advisable. The key is to keep your carbs (40-50%), protein (20-25%) and fat (25%) in a good balance each day and spread out throughout the day.

Dr Peeke

Helpful Tips

The Venus Factor Review
Here Is the Review Of Venus Factor Scam For the Complete Solution of Weight Loss: Get Prevention from Exta fat forever. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.