Skip to content

Announcements

Has the overeating season begun?
Judith J Wurtman, PhD posted:
I used to think that Black Friday referred to the mood people were in when they got on the scale the day after Thanksgiving. Even though I have since learned that the term is related to the economics of Christmas shopping , not holiday overeating, I still like my take on the term.

My own Thanksgiving meal is cooked and waiting to be served and as usual I made too much and am hoping that there won't be too many leftovers. Because of various dietary restrictions among my guests( does anyone not have any dietary restrictions these days?) the food is relatively simple and very low in fat. But did I have to make three pies and a corn pudding and two pumpkin breads? Of course not but I like everyone else have been influenced by a month of Thanksgiving recipes and menus coming at me from the newspapers, food network and magazines at the supermarket check out counter.

Staying on a diet is so hard this time of year and as we march toward the December holidays, it gets harder. It is really hard to resist a hot out of the oil potato pancake or a crushed nut butter filled Christmas cookie, and good intentions melt faster than the first snow fall.

Perhaps the best way to handle this overeating season is to really do what we all preach: Eat with moderation!

One of anything is not going to damage the diet . This includes alcoholic drinks along with the party munchies that are so tempting.
I suspect that weight is gained during the holiday season because a lot of the eating is mindless ( we are busy talking or running around playing hostess or standing over a hot frying pan) and we don't realize how much we are eating.

But if we can just manage to notice what we are eating and drinking, then it might be possible to sample the holiday treats without finding ourselves five pounds heavier by Jan 2.

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
274 of 339 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.