Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Dr. Peeke (sorry if I spelled it wrong)
avenged89 posted:
I had a couple of questions. I received a e-mail about this new diet thing called HCG Pro. It said you could lose 2-3 pounds a day. This is very unbelieveable yet tempting. I was wondering if you could tell me if this product is safe. I am 21 years old and I am overweight. I desperately want to lose weight in hopes that I might feel better and have more energy. However, I only have one kidney and I have been told that I cannot take any form of diet pills as it could harm my only kidney. I just wanted to know if you could give me any advice on losing weight safely and keeping it off. I honestly believe that I would feel 100% better if I lost weight. Also I've heard about the Acai Berry Diet. Any thoughts on that???

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi there and thanks for your posting. After having received countless emails about the HCG diet issue, I've decided to write an entire blog on this. Look out for it to go live today or tomorrow on my Everyday Fitness with Dr. Pam Peeke site on WebMD.
I'll make it brief. The HCG diet is a expensive potentially dangerous diet fad. The FDA does not approve the use of HCG for anything other than reproductive problems. No credible scientific data exists at all showing HCG causes weight loss. HCG does not cause weight loss. Period.
The "diet" is absurd. You consume a starvation diet of 500 cals per day of a combination of foods that make no sense and are based upon no science.
The book touting HCG was written by a man who has no background and who has been punished by the FDA for his false claims in this and other books. He's out to make a buck. Please make sure it's not yours.

I hear your desperation about wanting to drop weight. Removing excess body fat can happen and you can do it. Start out on the right foot and log onto the WebMD resources to help you plan meals and get more physical activity. That's the way to go. Listen to the wonderful people on this Diet Community board who are here to help support you all the way.

There are no short cuts when it comes to your health and wellness. Come on, join us. You CAN do this!

Dr Peeke

avenged89 replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
Thanks for the advice. I am so glad I got advice on this HCG thing first. I admit I was very tempted to put in the order for it. Its very hard for me to stay on the path of losing weight as I have tried it before and didnt do as well as I had hoped. But I am more than willing to give it another try.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP replied to avenged89's response:
Hey, good to hear back from you. Never ever give up. It normally takes people many false starts before their efforts "stick" and they can develop a sustainable healthy lifestyle. Start today by making just one positive change in each of my three infamous categories:MIND MOUTH MUSCLE.
MIND: change up your attitude to one of I CAN DO THIS, Dig deep and find that powerful motivation that will help to drive you. And take your patience pill.
MOUTH: Quantity Quality Frequency. You have three things you can choose from. Or, be bold and do a little of each. Stick with whole foods and throw out the processed refined junk. Eat smart and therefore less food. Try to eat every 3-4 hours ending at dinner.
MUSCLE: Just get up and move! Can you accure 30 mins every day? That's a great start. Walking is where it's at.

We're here to help support you all the way.

Good luck

Dr Peeke

Rosie_WebMD_Staff replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
Dr. Peeke's latest blog post, Diet Scam 101: The hCG Con , is up. Be sure to read it, She goes into detail about why you should run from "diets" like this one.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP replied to Rosie_WebMD_Staff's response:
I sure did. After reading so many postings asking about the hCG "diet", I laid out the foundation for understanding why no one should engage in this or other diet scams.

Dr Peeke

avenged89 replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
Thanks so much for the great advice!!! Its so great to be able to talk to someone about this. I am definetely gonna do it this time. I am gonna see this through. Thanks so much!!!!

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
203 of 248 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.