Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
how to lose weight when you cant exercise
mamadebbie1 posted:
am 54 years old and have been on disability for 5 yrs. i have had 3 back surgeries so it is really hard to exercise. im really aware of the saying dont eat what you cant work off. my problem is since i dont do alot i dont eat alot and now i find that im gaing weight especially in my stomache and thighs. i only eat probably 500 calories a day. i drink only coffee and water. i do try and walk some. i had to get steroid shots and now that is really making me gain, i have been alone now for a year and even though i only weigh 120 pounds im so miserable with myself i wont even think about dating so i am in my house all alone all the time. i am comfortable at 113 pds but dont know how to lose it or to get rid of theflab on my belly and legs. i know im not obese but i still feel the same as women who are,any ideas, thanks mamadebbie1
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jambajuice responded:
You're a mama...

If your son or daughter had the same problem, what would you advise? How would you help them?

Once you have the answer, then, call them up...

Judith J Wurtman, PhD responded:
One reason you find it so hard to keep your weight off is as you mentioned the steroids you are taking. However I assume that you had some physical therapy after your back surgeries. What were you told to do as part of your recovery? Do you have access to a pool ? Would you be able to do exercises in water if you could get to a pool.
Are you able to do any stretching exercises or use rubber cords to strengthen your arms and legs?
It sounds as if you are very lonely and perhaps you should see whether there is any community gentle exercise programs you could join and also meet others while you are doing the exercise.

Sherbobaz responded:
Try joining a support group like Weight Watchers. They will teach you the skills you need to work within your limitations. Plus you will get the support you need and make new friends that are in the same situation you are. There are a lot of us out here. You are not alone! Please reach out to a group near you.

Lannysmom responded:
I am in the same boat, I have had 3 neck surgeries & 1 shoulder surgery (which included removing 2" of my bone), I have a pain stimulator that does help alot with my chronic pain along with the pain meds I am on-even with all of that my pain level stays @ a 5-6 on the pain scale & with any activity I do it increases the pain, especially anything repetitive, & anything I do takes 3 times longer to do. My Husband helps me an awful lot-he will do dishes, laundry, clean what needs to be done.
So, I ask what kind of excersises can I do without alot of pain?? Other than walking-I try to do daily-that depends on what my pain level is.

nonametoday responded:
I don't really have any suggestions for helping with the weight piece. Honestly though given your weight and how little you are eating there are a couple of things that pop up.
One is that the steroids are likely causing the weight gain.
Two is that you could talk to a doctor to make sure nothing else is causing the weight gain.
Three is that it sounds like you could really benefit from a counsellor to deal with what sounds like depression and also unrealistic body expectations.
Four is - you have no idea how women who are obese feel - you say you feel comfortable at 113 lbs but not at 120lbs. As someone who struggles with obesity I can tell you that hearing stories like yours (oh my god - i used to be so skinny and now i'm so fat) is one of the all time most annoying things. Get over it, get over yourself and move on with life.

mamadebbie1 replied to nonametoday's response:
im sooo sorry that i affended you by saying i know how bigger people feel. i dont ,my mother was very heavy over 300 .but the extra weight does effect my body,just like the bad weather. im not looking for pity just knowing i cant be physically active, losing bone mass ,no muscle persay, it makes a person wonder how long a body will survive. i was very busy, cheerleading coach, coached baseball,worked 2 jobs and now not to be able to do anything well it is like obese women who wishes the same thing. i would never make fun or judge an overweight person and again i apoligize. debbie

titebodi replied to nonametoday's response:
I totally understand where she is coming from. Obese people think that thin people who gain wait can't be depressed because they are still thin. Mental struggles are mental struggles regardless of your size. What you preceive yourself to be is what makes it hard on you. Don't assume that because she is not obese she can't feel the same pain (we) can and we do. Get over yourself and move on.

kiskadeeflycatcher responded:
mamadebbie1, have you spoken with a nutritionist? If not, that would be a great place to start. Your doctor may be able to recommend one for you. It's dangerous and foolhardy to attempt to lose weight just by starving yourself. In order to heal, to cope with pain, to build muscle, and to survive, you have to have adequate nutrition... and if you're trying to lose weight, it helps to have a professional evaluate your situation (health, medications, metabolism, likes and dislikes, etc) and work with you to design a plan that makes sense for you.

Try not to get discouraged. I know it's hard when you feel fatter than you'd like. Talk with a nutritionist so you can come up with a safe and healthy diet plan that will help you save bone, build muscle, and shed flab.

NightOwl79 responded:
So sorry to hear about your situation. i am in a similar position and i find that 30 minutes a day on my Reebok mini step,( really gently!! ) along with taking Acai berry capsules, has helped to stabilise my weight considerably. The pain must be really bad for you to need steroids. Have you heard of SerraZyme or Serralone capsules? They contain an enzyme that is anti-inflammatory and is often very good for back pain. As a side effect, some people claim to lose a little weight at the same time! Hope that helps, and Good Luck

divagoddess responded:
The amount you are eating is causing you to gain weight. If you are only eating 500 calories your body thinks it is starving. It will then put on weight exactly where you talk about. If you can tolerate them use those nutritional shakes to get the good stuff you need, then supplement with fresh fruits and veggies, good stuff but let yourself have something you really like too. Denying yourself things you really want will just create a bad feeling.
You should look into water exercise, or just floating and kicking your legs, every thing helps. Remember too that a lot of places have scholarships or help of some sort if you can't afford them, just ask. I know it is hard but they are truly happy to help someone who is trying to help themselves. I have even gotten a personal trainer by just trying some of the less intimidating machines. She offered to work with me, because she admired my willingness to try. Doing one thing is more than you did yesterday. Don't over do and create failure. Do one or to reps of something, do seated yoga (there are programs on PBS and tapes at the libraries (or they can transfer them in from other libraries, not just their branches, talk to them). There is help out there. The hardest part is asking, it's embarrassing, etc. I've been there and I live through it every day. I've lost 25 pounds this past year. I have 60 to go and my son is getting married in May of 2011 - but whatever I lose means I'll be here (alive) for the wedding and hopefully to see my grandchildren in the years to come. Set goals, small and big ones. You'll make it. Find doctors who will work with you, not ones that do "cookie cutter" medicine.

Dipp32 replied to Sherbobaz's response:
I've been on WW for 3 months and have lost 13 lbs. Being a 2x cancer survivor at 43, with mant challenges and side effects from Tx, it's imperative for me to lose about 70 lbs. WW is teaching me a whole new lifestyle that's healthy and attainable!

jambajuice replied to kiskadeeflycatcher's response:
Sound advice, kiskadee...

Very sound advice...

mickrosty responded:
Many methods are to lose weight but the best way to lose weight without exercising by having diet pills supplement and Capsiplex is a natural diet pills. for more info visit the site http://www.dietpillscapsiplex.co.uk

PetuniaPea replied to mickrosty's response:
I disagree. Taking diet pills, no matter how "natural" they seem, is not the answer to real, sustained weight loss. THIS is a natural weight loss prescription: whole grains, beans, legumes, nuts, fruit and veggies, plus lean sources of animal protein if not a vegetarian--organic if possible. These are whole, unprocessed foods that actually use more calories to digest! Yes, you heard right, your body will burn MORE calories eating unprocessed foods as opposed to processed foods.

mamadebbie1, I hope you are consuming way more calories now. 500 is not enough for a child, let alone an adult. You must eat MORE food to lose weight! Then again, your weight seemed completely normal for someone between 5'0" and 5'4"...I really hope you are within that height...if you are much taller, then your perception of yourself may not be accurate...you may be just fine.
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
49 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.