Skip to content

Announcements

Expert Advice on Gaining Weight the Healthy Way?
morningeorgia posted:
I may be a lone voice on this discussion board, but I have a low BMI (18 - I'm 5'4" and 108) and I'm TTC (trying to conceive). I recently lost a pregnancy, and my brother-in-law keeps telling me that it's because I'm too skinny and that I need to gain weight.

I've been trying to increase my daily calorie count above 2000 since I've been TTC (for about 6 months), and I tried to increase it by even more after I found out I was pregnant. I've always preferred healthier foods, and so I'm looking for ways to add in calories and pack on a few pounds without letting my healthy diet go. Any expert advice?

seeit2 responded:
Is your BIL a doctor? 108 does not sound outrageous to me for a woman who is 5'4" , but I could be wrong. I just hate hearing someone blaming you for a miscarriage, I guess - you do know that your weight probably had nothing to do with it, right?

I don't have advice about gaining in a healthful way, unless you can cut back on your exercise but maintain your caloric intake. Does your OB have any input or advice?

morningeorgia responded:
P.S. 18 is my BMI, not my age. I'm almost 24.

morningeorgia replied to seeit2's response:
Thanks, seeit2! No, my BIL is 34 and unemployed by choice, so I guess I shouldn't take so much stock in what he says. Thanks for your reassurance - It's true, it's hard to deal with a miscarriage, and so I want to rule out every possible cause, but I know that it's not just because of my weight.

Still, I want to eat as healthy as possible for my baby, and I'm afraid that I tend to fall short on the daily calories. Asking my OB is a good idea. Thanks!

seeit2 replied to morningeorgia's response:
My BIL is having health problems and is losing a lot of weight. My sis, who is an RD, is encouraging him to drink Ensure - good calories and supplemented nutritionally. That may be a way to go. I would still discuss with the OB though - Im certainly not qualified in anything important. :)

Miscarriage is devastating, and part of that is the blame women can get for it's occurrence. The other part is that most of the time (unless we've had a few) we just don't know why it happened. For your own mental health, I would tell anyone who tries to make it your fault to go take a flying leap. It makes me mad just reading that people are saying that to you. JMO.

Congratulation, by the way lol! :)

Deb

morningeorgia responded:
Any advice from the experts on gaining weight the healthy way? (I'm not talking about body building...just healthy weight gain.)

Helpful Tips

Metric for weight loss for busy people
When things get extremly busy and weight loss must occur try writting everything down. I started that a long time ago and got away from it. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.