Expert Advice on Gaining Weight the Healthy Way?
morningeorgia posted:
I may be a lone voice on this discussion board, but I have a low BMI (18 - I'm 5'4" and 108) and I'm TTC (trying to conceive). I recently lost a pregnancy, and my brother-in-law keeps telling me that it's because I'm too skinny and that I need to gain weight.

I've been trying to increase my daily calorie count above 2000 since I've been TTC (for about 6 months), and I tried to increase it by even more after I found out I was pregnant. I've always preferred healthier foods, and so I'm looking for ways to add in calories and pack on a few pounds without letting my healthy diet go. Any expert advice?

seeit2 responded:
Is your BIL a doctor? 108 does not sound outrageous to me for a woman who is 5'4" , but I could be wrong. I just hate hearing someone blaming you for a miscarriage, I guess - you do know that your weight probably had nothing to do with it, right?

I don't have advice about gaining in a healthful way, unless you can cut back on your exercise but maintain your caloric intake. Does your OB have any input or advice?

morningeorgia responded:
P.S. 18 is my BMI, not my age. I'm almost 24.

morningeorgia replied to seeit2's response:
Thanks, seeit2! No, my BIL is 34 and unemployed by choice, so I guess I shouldn't take so much stock in what he says. Thanks for your reassurance - It's true, it's hard to deal with a miscarriage, and so I want to rule out every possible cause, but I know that it's not just because of my weight.

Still, I want to eat as healthy as possible for my baby, and I'm afraid that I tend to fall short on the daily calories. Asking my OB is a good idea. Thanks!

seeit2 replied to morningeorgia's response:
My BIL is having health problems and is losing a lot of weight. My sis, who is an RD, is encouraging him to drink Ensure - good calories and supplemented nutritionally. That may be a way to go. I would still discuss with the OB though - Im certainly not qualified in anything important. :)

Miscarriage is devastating, and part of that is the blame women can get for it's occurrence. The other part is that most of the time (unless we've had a few) we just don't know why it happened. For your own mental health, I would tell anyone who tries to make it your fault to go take a flying leap. It makes me mad just reading that people are saying that to you. JMO.

Congratulation, by the way lol! :)

Deb

morningeorgia responded:
Any advice from the experts on gaining weight the healthy way? (I'm not talking about body building...just healthy weight gain.)