Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

WebMD 4 Week Special: How Did We Get This Fat?
Andie_WebMD_Staff posted:
Have you ever felt like you just could not break through those invisible walls that keep you overweight and out of shape? Have you lost weight before, only to gain it back, and now you can't find that same inspiration to do it again?

If so, tune into our Dieting Club: 50-100 Lbs Community for the next four weeks as WebMD, our Experts and our Community, together uncover the path to diet and fitness freedom.

Over the next four weeks, we'd like to take a closer look at the challenges of losing 50-100 lbs, how it differs from other weight loss goals, and how your weight not only influences how people see you, but how you see yourself.

If you're ready to start (or start over) your weight loss journey, join us as we explore what it is that keeps us overweight with great discussions, Expert blog articles, and plenty of resources!

The first discussion is Starting Over...And Where to Start . There's already a few posts, so head on over to our Dieting Club and join in!
Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours. - Irish Proverb
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Tomato05 responded:
I think we all know how we got fat!

The question is - how to get thin again...

It is all a big balancing act - you really have to balance your food intake constantly, eat less but still eat healthy, cut those portions, stay away from high calorie, highly processed foods.

Not easy, and it is an ongoing process; however, tiny progress is better than no progress. Gradually one can train yourself to make do with less. One can be trained to do a lot of things!

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to Tomato05's response:
You are so right about any tiny progress being better than no progress, Tomato!

And, let's not forget that our weight loss is not the only way to measure our progress. We may not SEE the progress right away, but just by stepping up and putting our words into action is a HUGE accomplishment.

It's important to find anything and everything that our healthy lifestyles improve in our lives.

• Are you able to get up off the couch without a "push off"?
  • Did you just realize that you're not wheezing after going up the stairs?
  • Have digestion problems improved?
  • Do you notice more skin radiance?
  • Are you HAPPIER?

Taking note of all these things will make it easier to continue with the ongoing process. Anyone, no matter what shape they were in when they started, should be PROUD of yourselves for each accomplishment!

I know I'm proud of each of you! Thanks Tomato!

:)
Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours. - Irish Proverb

ckogden1 responded:
like to loose 30-35 lbs.

LettieR responded:
thanks for the opportunity

Coloradomom127 responded:
Medical hurdles also stand in the way. Baby steps sometimes are the only way. I have Lupus and after the tragic death of my son to suicide 12 years ago, drank every night to keep the pain (both physical and mental) from keeping me awake at night. I'm lucky, not to be prone to alcoholism. My weight has slowly but surely gone higher and higher. I'm now packing on an extra 60 pounds more than my doctor wants.

With help from my doctor, I'm now sleeping sound at night and without any 'help' from alcohol, or other drugs. It's only been a week, but WOW, do I feel refreshed when I wake. And, there's been a loss of a couple of pounds. My biggest change in eating habits, has been to start eating lots and lots of raw vegetables, even for breakfast. I made a dressing with cider vinegar, raw garlic, raw ginger and sea salt and smoked jalapeno pepper. ...yummy @ satisfying besides. A large cereal bowl full of salad, containing little to no lettuce, not only fills me up until lunch time, but takes a long time to eat, so eating is the last thing I want to do for a while.

My husband and I decided to have our big meal at noon, so I can have a few hours to work it off doing my chores around the house. This has also lessened the pressure on my stomach at night when I lay down. No more problems with acid reflux. If I feel like something in the evening, I snack on some cold cereal... cheerios, puffed rice or puffed wheat. (doc's suggestion that low calorie carbs will have a calming effect) And what is my drink of choice at night? A few large glasses of really cold filtered water with ice. I forgot what good water tasted like. It actually does satisfy me! If I'm in the mood for something hot, a nice large cup of spiced green tea with stevia is really nice.

Last night, I fell asleep just before 9, and slept restfully until 6 this morning. When I woke, I felt good and not the least bit ready to drop before I even got out of bed. I've found that the secret to regaining a healthier life for me, is not to obsess on being obese, but to look forward to what I can have to forget about being over weight... I'm not going to worry about what I can't have in order to loose weight, I'm looking forward to finding more and more natural foods that will help me feel healthy again. I'm actually learning to not like fats and sugars and empty calories that harm me.

Onward and Upward toward a better life! Believe it or not, it was you Web MD that got me started... Thank you for waking me up to the destructive nature of my habits.

kerilov responded:
I was diagnosed with hormone positive and receptive breast caner 3 yrs. ago. My treatment was a lumpectomy, radiation and Tamoxifen/Arimadex. I have also had my ovaries removed because I am high risk of getting ovarian cancer and getting bc again, which has put me into menopause. I'm not allowed to take HRT.
I have put on alot of weight due to menopause and I can't get it off. I know menopause is the reason because just before I was diagnosed I was on Weight Watchers and lost alot of weight easily. I am now doing exactly the same things I was doing on WW but the weight won't shift. I'm watch my portions, making the right choices when I'm eating out, walking etc.. Due to having my ovaries removed I'm no longer on Tamoxifen.
Can you please help me?

Regards,
Kerri :-D

tt58r replied to kerilov's response:
Hi, I feel your pain. I have forty five pounds to lose and since menopause collided with quitting smoking and fibromyalgia (especially the meds), I struggle just to stabilize my weight. Losing seems impossible. I'm only 5 foot which doesn't leave much wriggle room.

Clarejean responded:
I would like to lose 50lbs. I've been following the new weight watchers point plus program and attending a yoga/strength training class 2 times a week but my weight hasn't changed in months! I want to keep moving forward and I know I'm going to need loads of support:o)

kayaker197884 responded:
I don't need to lose 50 lbs (quite yet) but have problems maintaining weight loss I have done Weight Watchers 4xs with great success (30-40 lbs) each time I tried, kept it off for a reasonable time over a year, but have no support at family level constantly put my trigger foods out or send it home with me, am hungry/with heartburn ALL THE TIME. Right now I have NO desire to log my food, count calories all the time and be hungry 24/7. I have tried eating more protein, veggies, drinking water to not avail on the hunger end of it, I was walking/jogging 25-30 miles a week and still gained after I went off the diet, right now I have a knee injury thats keeping me from exercising, Need Some Help Please.

kayaker197884 replied to Clarejean's response:
Keep up the good work, maybe add a little cardio into the mix that may help some, I know time can be a factor, if you just add maybe 10 minutes 3xs a day it works just as well or even just start out at 10 minutes a day and add on as it gets easier.

pacman28 responded:
I would like to lose 50 pounds but take Lithium and am beginning the Acai berry cleansing diet conbined with South Beach Java but am not sure about doing the South Beach Java part since I am not supposed to have caffeine due to Lithium intake. The South Beach Java is designed to boost metabolism and the Acai berry supplement enhances energy and boosts weight loss and the metabolization of stored fat cells. Should I use the South Beach Java or leave that out?

leadingladybug responded:
I am right there. I have been watching what I eat, working out and it seems I gain and lose the same 10 pounds. I would like to lose 70 to 90 pounds. I am very discouraged at this point, but I still hope to achieve my goals. I would like to join a group even if it is online that understands that not all bodies are the same.

I try to take it one day at a time, and starting over is fine with me. Every day is a new start to eat right and work out.

maxelle replied to kayaker197884's response:
To Kayaker -

If you are hungry all the time, please consider the possibility that you have type two diabetes. I tried to eat a high fiber healthy diet with exercise and kept gaining weight and feeling like I was starving. Now I am on metformin (a diabetes medication), the appetite is back to normal, and the weight is coming off, yay.

kayaker197884 replied to maxelle's response:
scary but thanks for making me look at different possibility's will get that checked out, although was thinking the heartburn lots of times feels like I am hungry, but like I said will check into other possibilities, to everyone out there good luck, keep up the good work

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 239 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.