Skip to content

Announcements

I hope someone has an answer for me : (
Mercy164 posted:
Hello,
My name is Mercy. I have been chronically ill for 5 years where I have 6 chronic illnesses and get respiratory infections all the time. I also have celiac disease so I can't really find a healthy way to eat as I am too unwell to cook most nights so I eat cereal and all pre-made GF stuff which is junkie and fattening. I haven't been able to keep a steady regimen of exercise to to chronic fatigue or just being ill. There were periods I have started just to have to stop when I got sick 2 weeks later. Now I need to lose about 15-20 pounds and I hate how out of shape I am. I have asthma but I can barely walk up a flight of stairs. I am not toned and I look and feel worse everyday. I want to change, but I don't know where to start.
Does anyone know how to help me?

jis4judy responded:
Hi Mercy
most healthy plans start in the grocery store fruits and vegies are
really the main part of any healthy plan .

I am not a fancy cook I do what ever is easy for me ..
when you do feel well do some basic stuff like Jamba said to have to eat when you are to unwell to cook,, I also have had asthma for my whole life since I cleaned up my eating habits the asthma went away . it took about 3 years of clean eating almost zero proccessed foods I think there was something in those proccessed foods that made my asthma worse. to be clear I still have asthma as my doctor said it just isn;t acting up no attacks for the last 3 years no medicine either... I was in worse shape weight wise than you I was over 100 pounds over weight when I started my plan ..
I wish I had started sooner when I was just 20 or 30 pounds over weight ...
Good luck hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 153ish remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey! life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

seeit2 replied to Mercy164's response:
My DH is GF and we do a few things every few days to make his whole "eating" life easier - because you are right, that store-bought GF stuff is really starchy and yucky. It will make you feel like crap if you eat enough of it too but the convenience is hard to beat and you do get to eat "normal" stuff with some of it - like pizza, etc....so we feel your pain. You really have to think ahead with that kind of diet, which is not always easy.

So what we do to help a little is pre-make what we can and shove it in the fridge. I own a $20 rice cooker that can cook oatmeal as well as rice so we make big batches of both and stick them in the fridge. I know there is some controversy about whether oatmeal is really GF but my DH can tolerate it - if you can too, I highly recommend this route. You can mix oatmeal with spices, applesauce, yogurt...all sorts of stuff to make it taste good and different. It has lots of filling fiber and is cheap. It re-heats in seconds in the microwave. I find myself eating a small bowl of oatmeal instead of ice cream at night before bed and it keeps me nice and satisfied for fewer calories and fats. Experiment with other grains too, the rice cooker is pretty easy- throw in the grain, add water, push the button - you're done. Quinoa is also gluten-free, isn't it?

The breadmaker and crockpot are two other lifesaving inventions lol! A pre-made GF bread mix can be dumped into the breadmaker with a few liquids and then you are good to go.

There is a celiac board on Webmd too, they might have some good ideas and nice support for you. And my "Food allergy families" exchange has some great recipes and cooking tips as well. GL and hang in there.

Deb

Mercy164 replied to seeit2's response:
That is where I am at. Exactly. I have a liver disease, brain damage, tremors, migraines, chronic fatigue, fibro, chronic abdominal pain, severe asthma, and interstitial cystitis. I suppose this was silly, but I saw that an expert did this group and I thought she was in here! I thought only someone like that would be able to figure this crap out because I hate talking about it-it gives me a headache.
I was really glad to hear someone know about the Gluten thing. That REALLY helped. I also feel so much better with the apology. I do appreciate it. I live basically alone ( my teenager doesn't help no matter how hard I try) so I can sometimes try to get it together with food. Other times I throw away meat that cost 10.00 quite often. I have a crock pot and rice cooker. I couldn't find any GF dairy free ( yes, allergic to dairy too : ( ) recipes that tasted good. If anyone knows any, please let me know. Today I picked up salad stuff to make a salad for like 3 days. I will try to do that every week. That will be my 1 think to change for this week.
Am I on track, at least?

seeit2 replied to Mercy164's response:
Oh hun, you should definitely come by the food allergy families board: http://exchanges.webmd.com/food-allergy-families

My DD is severely allergic to milk so on top of the GF diet we are managing that as well. There are many people on the board who are living with milk and wheat (so practically GF anyway) allergies, I bet we could offer some good advice.

Does your doctor have any advice about weight loss? Have you considered/ seen a Registered Dietician? I meet with one about once a year and always come away with good advice and resources for managing the various diets. I have to private pay but personally I think it is well worth the cost.

The expert is around the boards but does not reply to every post - stick around and she may find you, otherwise you can always try again with some CAPS to get her attention lol!

I have to say, we eat a ton of produce in my household. It agrees with every diet, is mostly cheap depending on season, and you don't always have to cook it. Hummus and coconut yogurt (So Delicious by Turtle Mountain - yummy) make great dips and don't take any prep. So it sounds to me like you are well on track with salad and fixings. JMO.

Deb

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to Mercy164's response:
Hi Mercy,

Welcome to the community! Sorry to hear you've had to cope with these health issues, but glad you found some help here on the Diet community!

Since you mentioned gluten free diets, I did a little research on WebMD and found a few resources that may be helpful:

I'm sure Dr Peeke will chime in as soon as possible. She's awesome! Which also makes her very popular, so there may be times when Dr. Peeke can't answer or may take a little time before answering.

I hope you've found some useful help from the community. Keep us posted on how you're doing!
Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours. - Irish Proverb

Mercy164 replied to Andie_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Everyone,
I had my second salad this week. I wish I would have stuck to my guns though. I ran out of food in the house due to having a fever and ended up going and getting candy bars. It was easy to grab with the cough drops. I messed up and will do better. I feel mad after eating them. 200 calories a piece too.
I am going to try to do some very light exercise once a week. I need to start really slow. I suppose I will walk or do yoga or switch off. That will be my new commitment.
Thank you everyone for being here and for the help.

Helpful Tips

Metric for weight loss for busy people
When things get extremly busy and weight loss must occur try writting everything down. I started that a long time ago and got away from it. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.