Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Fat Loss Tip of the Week 2/7/11
Andie_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hi Everyone,

Seems like this little post was a hit and we all enjoyed sharing our best tips on keeping our salads healthy . So, I'll start a new discussion each week with a Fat Loss Tip to get us started and leave the door open for all of YOU - our awesome community - to chime in with your secrets. :)

I'll also try to include an inspirational quote with these posts, too! Here's today's:

"Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels"
. -
Kate Moss

Fat Loss Tip of the Week
Did you know that the egg yolk contains most of the fat and cholesterol in the egg? Try using egg substitutes or only eat the egg white whenever possible to help cut back.

For instance, if you are making something that requires two eggs per serving, use one egg plus 2 egg whites or 1/4 cup egg substitute.

Here's a recipe for a Homemade Egg Substitute to get you started:
  • 2 Tbsp Instant Nonfat Dry Milk
  • 3 Egg Whites
  • 2 Drops Yellow Food Coloring (optional)
  • 1 Tsp Water
This recipe for Spinach Quiche uses egg substitute and reduced-fat cheddar cheese to make it lighter, coming in with only 228 calories, 15 g carbohydrate, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol.

Have you cut back on your fat and cholesterol by using only egg whites or an egg substitutes? What other ways have you found to cut back on fat and cholesterol in your diet? Share your tips here and feel free to include any recipes, too!
Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours. - Irish Proverb

seeit2 responded:
For breads, muffins and pancakes, you can substitute 1 Tbsp of ground flax mixed with 3 Tbsp water for one egg. Flax has a kind of nutty flavor so it is best suited to more bread-type dishes IMO.

If you are making something sweeter and want to leave the egg out, you can use 3 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce mixed with 1 tsp of baking powder in place of one egg.

In either case, I would not substitute for more than 2 eggs this way.

Deb

jhilton1 replied to seeit2's response:
good tips! thank you!
You can also use applesauce in place of oil in recipes, you cant taste a difference, and I think it makes baked goods much more moist!

mkm00000 responded:
What part of the egg contains the protein or the most protein?

seagoingbellhop responded:
I find another help in controlling hunger is V8 juice low sodium

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to jhilton1's response:
Great one, Jhilton! I'd of using applesauce before and it does make everything much more moist!

I remember making applesauce cake in our old Home-Ec classes in school At the time is sounded yucky to me as a kid, but when I tried it I couldn't wait to bring a sample of my cake home to my mom!
Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours. - Irish Proverb

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to mkm00000's response:
Hi Mkm,

The yolk is the major source of the egg's vitamins and minerals, but is also the fat & cholesterol culprit. Egg whites are an excellent source of low-fat protein.

2 egg whites (1/4 cup egg substitute) = 7 grams protein

If you're looking for more information on getting enough protein in your diet, this article "The Power of Protein ", from Food & Cooking Expert, Ellen Magee , offers a great overview of other protein sources found in a normal diet.

Have you been trying to limit your cholesterol intake or were you just interested in protein intake? Let us know any other questions, and we'll try to help out. :)

Jis4Judy replied to Andie_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Andie
I eat whole eggs because of the nutrients in the yolk
I know it has also more fat but I trim the fat elswhere in my plan like dairy prodects are all fat free in my plan ..
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 153ish remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey! life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

BJGRANDMA responded:
Please, for health sake. If you want to use this recipe for egg substitute, leave out the food coloring. No need for it an way too many artificial colors in our diet.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hey Andie, thanks for bringing up the subject of eggs. Here's an interesting update for everyone. Check out the USDA's searchable database sometime. It's a real eye-opener. It has the largest database of all foods imagineable and their full nutrient breakdowns. Eggs had not been re-evaluated since 2002. Boy have things changed. Today, an egg has 185 mg cholesterol (down from 212 mg) and 41 IU of Vit D (up from 18 IU--- check out my Vit D deficiency blog on Everyday Fitness with Dr. Pam Peeke). A large egg delivers 70 calories and provides 6 grams of protein. The new Dietary Guidelines for Americans allow for an average of 300 mg of cholesterol per day. If you've got heart disease and/or there's serious heart disease risk in your family, consult your medical team to see what level of cholesterol intake you should be having to prevent or reverse heart disease.

Frankly, I'm an egg white girl and love my 2 egg white omelet chock full of veggies (my combo is tomato, spinach, mushroom and bell pepper), with a side of mixed berries. There's nothing like a serving of satiating protein, fiber and whole food carb to make your breakfast, or any meal, satisfying and long lasting.

Bon apetit!

Dr Peeke

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
Thanks for jumping in and sharing the USDA database resource, Dr. Peeke! So glad we have you to set things straight for us. Glad to hear our country's eggs are becoming more healthy.

And, Judy...You are an awesome food accountant! That's the great thing about reading labels and tracking our foods...we can pick and choose our personal favorites and adjust elsewhere. Empowerment!

One little note on the side - I'm not a health professional, and just in my own HEALTHY weight loss journey I'm often looking for quotes which inspire me and that's where I was coming from with the Kate Moss quote.

I apologize that I'm sooo NOT up on pop culture figures that I didn't realize she was not the best example of a healthy lifestyle. It was the quote I personally liked.

To me, it wasn't talking about the importance being thin over being HEALTHY. Sometimes when I feel an eating binge coming on I will remind myself how great I feel since losing weight. I tell myself that the pizza I'm trying not to devour is not going to bring me as much happiness as losing 2 more pounds will if I keep resisting the temptation to overeat.

Hope I didn't offend anyone with that and I appreciate you guys for chiming into let me know when I goof. Keeps us all human. :)

jean4u replied to Andie_WebMD_Staff's response:
ANDIE,

Just say'in.....eversince I have made eating 2 eggwhites and whole wheat bagle thins for breakfast and 1/2 grapefruit for breakfasts most days, maintining my weightloss and sustaining hunger has not been a problem. (And tomato juice w/cayenne.) I use Mrs. Dash and red pepper flakes on the egggwhites.

I think like Dr. Peeke says its all about getting protein, fiber and the whole food carb in at a meal that counts.

Since I have been eating healthy, I do not get the out of control hungries. Yes, I do wake up hungry. But nothing like when I was eating mindlessly.

I really think it is possible, like you say, to talk yourself out of a binge. Especially when we know it is food that once we start, the control/stop button is GONE!

Everyone thanks for sharing.

Barb

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 49 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.