Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
New Raising FIT Kids Community!
Andie_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hi Everyone,

New research shows that when overweight kids lose weight, they're more likely to stay in shape if they take part in a weight-maintenance program.

Where do we begin and how can we help our kids? WebMD has a new place for you to find some answers and support from other parents and guest experts, it's the Raising FIT Kids Community!

What is the role of the parent when it comes to raising FIT kids? Do our kids know how many calories & fat grams are in a slice of pizza? Are we setting an example of healthy eating or an active lifestyle for them to model?

Please come on over to our brand new Raising FIT Kids Community and join in! We'd love to have your feedback and think this will be a great start for teaching our children about living healthy.
Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours. - Irish Proverb

seeit2 responded:
This is surely a helpful board, but the fact that it has to exist at all makes me sad.

Deb

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Andie, this is such a terrific idea. The WebMD team told me about this a while ago and I've been waiting patiently for its launch. I want to give a shout out to everyone who has kids and really wants to learn how to feed them well and to keep them fit as they grow. You're already learning great facts, tips and tools here in our Diet Community. Now, race over and learn how to integrate the wonderful facts from the Fit Kids Community.

WebMD's done it again! We're making the "getting into shape and staying there" experience alive and dynamic.

Join us!

Dr Peeke

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
Hi Dr. Peeke!

I am really excited that we've started this board, too!

Since many of us on the Diet Community are here re-teaching ourselves healthy eating habits, I guess it's only going to follow that we've also trained our kids in those same poor habits. Sad, but true.

I think the Raising FIT Kids community will make it so much easier to find answers on some of the things our kids face in THEIR lives that may be causing weight gain.

For instance, I remember as a kid that I was ridiculed and even abused just for being overweight. It eventually affected my grades and started stealing my motivation to go to school. But, my parents never knew what to say or how to help.

On our Raising FIT Kids Community we can band together as parents and support one another when our kids are going through some tough times over their weight. Or, we can ask nutrition questions that are aimed at school age children.

I encourage (and maybe "challenge") every parent to help us kick off this new community by posting one new question on the board!!

:)
Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours. - Irish Proverb

Helpful Tips

Metric for weight loss for busy people
When things get extremly busy and weight loss must occur try writting everything down. I started that a long time ago and got away from it. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.