Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

quitting the hcg early
An_202245 posted:
will it be okay if i quit this diet early? i hate this diet and im gonna do weight watchers to maintain my weight a healthy way. I am gonna eat regular food today, my body is till weaning from the drops, stopped taking them yesterday. so what will happen if i quit early?
I figure if i gain weight back i will lose it eventually on weight watchers.
any advice would be great.

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon,

Yes, the HCG diet is nearly impossible to stay on! And, with the very few calories you're allowed...it's a good thing no one wants to stay on it long term.

You may gain a little weight as you wean yourself off the drops, but from what I understand, there is a "maintenance phase" that you should be trying to follow as close as you can. I believe this affords you more calories and food choices, so it's easier, at least.

How long were you on the HCG Diet Protocol? What was your experience like? Did you lose weight, were you hungry, did you feel tired? We'd love to hear from someone that's had an experience to share!

Thanks for posting and please come back to share with us how you're doing and how Weight Watchers is going for you!

Andie
Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours. - Irish Proverb

Euberon replied to Andie_WebMD_Staff's response:
I had mixed experience:
I did two rounds of the HCG. First round I did with my wife and lost over 20 lbs in 23 days. She lost 10 but didn't really have much to go (just a tune up for her and support for me really). It was hard but seemed to work fine for us.

Between first and second round, gained back only three and two more during the binge phase preceding round 2.

Second round I am coming off of now after 8 days. Wanted to lose another twenty five but I'm stopping at 15 and doing my last ten with exercise and HCG maintenance phase eating (which is much more sensible and doable).

Mixed reviews. It works! It's hard! Second round just got grueling and its effecting my mood too dramatically; very "chemically" grouchy, meaning its tough to control frustration and negative emotions.

All in all, I say (and I repeat): It works and it's hard.

Evilmomlady2013 replied to Andie_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank goodness this post was here (even two years later). I've done the HCG diet twice before and lost 60 lbs with the sublingual drops. I kept all but 10 lbs off. I've been on this diet for 14 days and have lost the 10 lbs but I'm MISERABLE! I've been scared and stressed out about whether I will be able to lose the 10-15 lbs that I really started this diet to lose if I go off the VLCD and try to lose the rest of the weight following the phase 3 protocol and incorporate exercise. I have 2 more days to decide whether I will go to phase 3 or continue phase 4.

Evilmomlady2013 replied to Euberon's response:
Would love to hear any updates. I'm thinking about doing the same thing (going to phase 3 and trying to lose the last 10-15 by following the phase 3 protocol and incorporating exercise).

C7Vette replied to Evilmomlady2013's response:
Very glad to find this discussion even though it was started a while ago. I am on Day 9 of Phase 2. This is my first round. I have lost 7.5 lbs and am delighted.

Hard? Yes! Doable? Yes! I know what made me like this and I know what I need to do to get back and get back quickly. I look at this as time to pay the piper!

MissX replied to C7Vette's response:
I hope this helps someone else if no one responds soon.

I stopped the shots on Day 18 because there were some major changes in my life that made it impossible for me to continue. I have been increasing calories by 100/day and sticking to low carb. I'll try to come back and update on how it's going in case anyone else needs this information.

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

more effective weight loss pointers
primary all time tip is to devour wholesome and watch what you are eating, however now not vital how so much of food you consume. you may ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.