Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

New Vegetarian
An_202248 posted:
Hey everyone!! I have a few questions about becoming a 'semi' vegetarian (eats some meat for a little while and then becomes a full vegetarian) ... I am a 14 year old girl in middle school and I want to become a vegetarian for weight benifits, health benefits, and for the sake of the animals. I understand most of the diet form of being a vegetarian.. I have a dairy allergy, nut allergy (all nuts), and whole wheat allergy. The question that I am asking is, how can I get the protein that I need with all of the allergies that I have in the way? I do drink soy milk (silk) on a semi daily basis and I have a salad everyday for lunch (but with bacon and turkey.. I will have to change that gradually I understand). Is there some type of protein powder supplement or something that I can take with or without my soymilk??

Duckblind responded:
Take up fishing and hunting and you will have better respect for the animals you eat. With your allergies I dont think becoming a vegetarian would be such a wise move.

seeit2 responded:
Good for you for examining what you consume and why! My daughter is allergic to milk and recently outgrew both egg and wheat allergies. Being a young child, she was not much interested in many meats either, so we have lived the diet you are considering and still do to some degree. You can get protein from lots of sources other than meat and dairy. Soy and quinoa are great sources and quinoa is wheat-free. Beans if course, if you can eat them with the nut allergy. A varied plant-based diet will have the nutrients you need. I also found a good link here for further info on protein :

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/articles/get-enough-protein-veg-diet.php

Deb

wwtud responded:
I'm a newborn veggie too. (Well, semi. I still eat fish for the protien and nutrients)
Learn about food, do some research and talk to other vegitarians/vegans. They are a wealth of knowledge. You also want to team up with your doctor or a nutritionist because of your allergies.
Check out nutritional stores like Sprouts, Clarks, or some other organic/nutrituonal market in your area or (with the consent of your docotr if you have allergies you really need to keep an eye on the ingredients) check out a VitaminShop or GNC for protien suppliments. On vegitarian diet and you being so young you should be taking daily vitamins. But again, please work with your doctor and get their approval.

carlos6466 replied to wwtud's response:
amy, congradulation from me, to you! vegetarian is great. i try to come closer to vegan as possible, but i won't give up honey, diet coke, my goose down comforter, and the like... :) anyway, if you haven't read books or seen dvd's from dean ornish, md, his diet and lifestyle information will help you greatly! some say its hard because it takes a dedicated effort, but i'd love to share my secrets. i don't eat milk products or eggs, as well. please contact me if i can be of service. cheers, --carlos

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
I just wanted to jump in really quick to give you the link to a new slideshow that WebMD just published.

It's like they can read minds and know what we're going to ask, because almost every time someone posts a question, I see a new story come out that fits perfect! LOL

Tips for Starting a Vegetarian Diet - Thinking of giving up meat? Learn about different types of vegetarian diets and how to get the nutrients you need to stay healthy.
Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours. - Irish Proverb

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 239 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.