Skip to content

Announcements

"Happy" Weight
An_202278 posted:
Hi all,
Has anyone heard of the "happy weight" theory? Is it valid that your body naturally maintains a normal weight range if you eat a healthy calorie amount and exercise?

The reason I ask is that I think I've been under eating lately -I work out with running or vigorous elliptical for 60 mins a day, six days a week, and eat around 1800 calories per day. All the articles I read say I should be eating much more -around 2300. I increased my food intake to stay healthy, and gained 4 pounds in 2 weeks!

What gives? Is this my body trying to reach it's happy weight, or is this abnormal? I want to eat at a healthy level, because I don't want to lose weight -I'm 5'6 and 135 and size 2.
But I don't want to keep gaining weight either.
Advice??
Liz

Jis4Judy responded:
I think if you were maintaining at 1800 cals then you may be better off staying there I know I have used many calculators but we are all different the calculators are just average amounts . If you gain weight by eating more that means you are eating too much ... I think there is something called a set point for our weights where the body likes to be ...My healthy weight is about 5 pounds over the high end of the range .. and my body refuses to budge under that number ..

Have you allways been 135?
You might try eating 1800 as average calories and eat more 1 day a week ... see how that works out.
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 153ish remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey! life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

lizbackstrom replied to Jis4Judy's response:
Hi Judy,
Thanks for your response! Yes, I've pretty much always been that weight since high school, except for a period in college where I was underweight and dealing with an eating disorder.
I've overcome that and am trying to live a healthy lifestyle. I've actually been doing that -eating more about 2 days a week and an average of 1850 the other days. It's been working well.
Thanks!

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon,

Welcome to the Diet Community! I wanted to share my favorite quick and dirty Body Weight Calculator (off WebMD) with you.

I love it because it shows the "Medical" and the "People's Choice" weight recommendations, which would be what people just like you & I think about our ideal weight.

In this article, WebMD looks at our Happy Weight and talks about how our body has it's "set point" weight range. It's pretty interesting...check that out.

Also, you might like our Food & Fitness Planner that not only tracks your food & calories, but also gives you guidance on how much exercise you need.

Hope we you come back and plug in to the community more. You'll find lots of support, and we look forward to hearing how you're doing!

~Andie
Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours. - Irish Proverb

mbboring responded:
Wow size 2, thats great, i am 5'6" weigh 125 and i am a size 6, i would love to be a size 2

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to mbboring's response:
Here's an article about just this topic:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/ideal-weight-or-happy-weight

A size 2 is very petite! Do you have a small frame? I think that needs to be taken into consideration too...

Haylen

lizbackstrom replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Yes I definitely do. I work out a lot so I look small but have a lot of muscle weight.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
204 of 249 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.