Skip to content

Announcements

Trying to lose the pooch!
DianeLara460 posted:
I'm a 19 year old girl and I've been the same healthy weight all of my life. I am 5' 1" and 107lbs on an average day (never been over 110).

I've just been trying to get rid of this little pooch of fat that we women always have and I have been reading that the main way to eliminate it is by changing your diet (i.e. "abs are made in the kitchen"). I don't expect 8 pack abs or anything like that, but I would like to see my tummy flatten a bit. All the women on my mom's side of the family are overweight and carry most the fat on their stomachs and I would REALLY like to avoid carrying on the trend.

I plan on visiting a registered dietitian soon, but I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what to eat, how much to eat, and how often. After reading so many diet books and websites it's hard to know what's healthy and determine what actually works. And I'm not looking for any miracle fixes either! I know that positive, realistic change takes time =>

I exercise regularly either running on the treadmill or doing the P90X workout system.

Thanks!!!
-Diane

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Diane!

Welcome to the Diet Community and thanks for asking about taming your tummy. :)

I doubt if you have a "muffin top" (one of those pesky rolls that likes to bulge over jeans), but Dr. Peeke has some great tummy tips in her blog article, Melt Your Muffin Top and Minimize Your Menopot , that you may find helpful.

WebMD has a couple pretty cool options for you to figure out what you should be eating. Our Food and Fitness Planner is perfect for planning out your meals and your workouts.

And, even though you're now 19, you may still enjoy the new WebMD FIT Teens Center where you will find a TON of tools, recipes, articles and fun stuff to help you lead a more fit lifestyle.

You might also check out our Exercise & Fitness Community for any specific questions about firming your stomach and abs.

Let us know how things are going and check back often.
Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours. - Irish Proverb

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.