Skip to content

Announcements

Bad taste in mouth while dieting
An_202282 posted:
I have been on a weight watchers diet since New Years. I've lost 21 pounds and am 5 pounds from my goal. One thing I have noticed while dieting is that some days, maybe once every couple weeks, I have this bad taste in my mouth for no apparent reason at all. At first, I would have described it as a salty taste, but that's not quite right. It's kind of a stale, morning wake-up taste.

It doesn't go away all day. I drink tons of water trying to rinse the taste out. I brush my teeth and tongue. I chew mint gum. No matter what I do, a few minutes later the taste is back.

I know it's not ketosis, because I eat plenty of carbs. I just keep my WW points below my max for the day, and I lose about a pound or two a week.

Does anyone know what this is? The only thing I can think of is that it is the result of fat breaking down, and the byproducts not immediately getting purged from my system and somehow coming out in my saliva. I do notice that often after I have these days of stale taste in my mouth I will suddenly drop a pound or more overnight.

larsstarscanary responded:
Can you see or talk to your dentist?

If I have a problem tooth, I have trouble.

When I didn't floss everyday, I had trouble.

(I've been with WW since forever and I think it's great. I've been at or under goal for years.)

Best wishes to you.

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon,

Welcome to the Diet Community and thanks for asking about this. I'm not sure if it would fall under the same thing, but I had someone ask a similar question on the Fitness & Exercise Community.

They asked about a metal taste after working out and Rich Weil, our expert, gave a good explanation. Check it out and see if it helps. He might even have another answer for you if you ask on that board, too.

Did that help? I hope you come back to let us know and we see you often!

~Andie
Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours. - Irish Proverb

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
204 of 249 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.