Bad taste in mouth while dieting
An_202282 posted:
I have been on a weight watchers diet since New Years. I've lost 21 pounds and am 5 pounds from my goal. One thing I have noticed while dieting is that some days, maybe once every couple weeks, I have this bad taste in my mouth for no apparent reason at all. At first, I would have described it as a salty taste, but that's not quite right. It's kind of a stale, morning wake-up taste.

It doesn't go away all day. I drink tons of water trying to rinse the taste out. I brush my teeth and tongue. I chew mint gum. No matter what I do, a few minutes later the taste is back.

I know it's not ketosis, because I eat plenty of carbs. I just keep my WW points below my max for the day, and I lose about a pound or two a week.

Does anyone know what this is? The only thing I can think of is that it is the result of fat breaking down, and the byproducts not immediately getting purged from my system and somehow coming out in my saliva. I do notice that often after I have these days of stale taste in my mouth I will suddenly drop a pound or more overnight.

larsstarscanary responded:
Can you see or talk to your dentist?

If I have a problem tooth, I have trouble.

When I didn't floss everyday, I had trouble.

(I've been with WW since forever and I think it's great. I've been at or under goal for years.)

Best wishes to you.

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon,

Welcome to the Diet Community and thanks for asking about this. I'm not sure if it would fall under the same thing, but I had someone ask a similar question on the Fitness & Exercise Community.

They asked about a metal taste after working out and Rich Weil, our expert, gave a good explanation. Check it out and see if it helps. He might even have another answer for you if you ask on that board, too.

Did that help? I hope you come back to let us know and we see you often!

~Andie
Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours. - Irish Proverb