Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/weight-loss/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at CommunityManagement@webmd.net

Where to start?
    greengum posted:
    I'm a 33 year old male who has never been on a diet. I'm 6-1 and about 335. I started getting concerned with my weight. I decided one day I needed to change. My diet used to consist of monsters, cokes, rich foods, and take out. It seems there is so much information out there that I did not know where to start. The first thing I did was drop most sugary drinks for water and cut out all fried foods and even my precious bacon. My meals consist of chicken breast, brown rice, baked fish, salads w/ non fat dressings, fruits, whole wheat bread and raw veggies. In 3 weeks I have gone down 2 inches in pant sizes.

I have 2 major concerns. One is meals are very boring even though i get creative with spices and fresh herbs. The second is exercise. I have been walking 3 times a week at a decent pace for a half hour. I get really sore. I tried to play one on one basketball and lasted only 10 minutes. With all the extra weight it becomes rather painful.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I am committed to a lifestyle change and I know it isn't easy but I will do it. I feel so much better and i would just to be more efficient. Thanks for your time.

Tomato05 responded:
    It's amazing that you could make such drastic changes to your diet in such a short time - well done!

Just try to incorporate as much variety as you can in your meals, if you find them boring: vary your veg and fruit daily (there are so many types of fruit and veg), vary your protein (e.g. also include turkey, eggs, lean red meat and pork, beans, tofu). You can of course cook your veg also instead of only eating them raw - that will allow you a greater variety of veg., as some have taste better when cooked (e.g. pumpkin, beetroot).

Even your grains you could vary - brown rice and bread are good, but there are also oats, quinoa, lentils, barley, wholewheat pasta.

As for exercise - exercise is of course essential, not for weight loss, but for health. You really need two components: aerobic/cardio exercise, and resistance/strengthening exercise.The walking you do is good, especially if you increase it gradually until you do it most days and at quite a fast tempo.

If you could find a way to do exercise with weights, it would be excellent. Joining a gym would be ideal (maybe get a trainer for a few sessions just to show you the basics); otherwise do it at home with a few pieces of equipment like resistance bands, dumbbells, or use your body weight or exercise videos. You need to build muscle, not only lose weight.

Keep up the good work! You're an example to us to follow.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Welcome! I'm so glad you are here - this is the right place to bring up your questions, concerns and progress.

The good news is, you're not burned out by constant dieting (speaking as a women). And you're so aware of what you need to do (and not do).

Food doesn't have to be boring! I'll step back and let others in this community chime in with what worked for them!

Haylen

P.S. Have you tried swimming for exercise? Or biking (on a "real" bike or a recumbent exercise bike)?

greengum replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
    thank you for the responses!! I do have a workout room at our home owners association. I will be on the bicycle for sure! I used to love swimming and we have a community pool. I get rather uncomfortable swimming with others around. It is just socially awkward to be the fat guy but I will just do it. Screw what they think!!! Thank you guys for cheering me on. Not many people in my life want to see me get healthy for whatever reason. I will say it feels great so far to show people you really can do anything. :)

trudyfoody replied to greengum's response:
    Hi greengum! Congratulations on embarking on a journey towards a healthy body :) Keep in mind that losing weight in a safer and effective process takes a while as your body adopts to a new habit of eating food and leading an active lifestyle. As such, it would be better if you gradually, and not abruptly introduce new exercises/foods to your system. In terms of food, you can eat to lose weight. There are a number of healthy recipes around that would make you motivate to have a healthy diet that are definitely appetizing!:) All you have to do is to open yourself up to new and better opportunities that you may encounter on your route to a fitter body.

Helpful Tips

Me too!
    I just signed up to! First thing I need to do I figure out how to get back here if I sign off! I look so forward to learning this wealth of ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.