Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Food Pyramid Icon to be Replaced
Olivia_WebMD_Staff posted:
The USDA announced today in an exclusive interview with WebMD that the long-running food pyramid icon will be replaced on June 2nd .

The debut of the new icon will mark the beginning of an increased effort to bring attention to the recently updated USDA/HHS dietary guidelines.

Check out the story and then visit the Food and Cooking community to take our poll .

Tomato05 responded:
Looking forward to seeing this improved version.

I find it a bit ironically that their new guidelines all talk about the food on your plate (portions, half fruit and veg, etc.). All of that is true of course, and very sensible.

However, I think the main problem for most people (me too) are those foods that don't go onto any plate! Candy, crisps, cookies, etc.

My meals are wonderfully healthy, balanced, colourful, low-fat, etc. (not low sodium though). But what I eat in between those healthy meals (candy on no plate!) have caused the needle on the scale to creep up.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Tomato05's response:
That is interesting Tomato! If everyone had to sit and eat off a plate at a table (no TV!), our obesity problems would be less!

You said "crisps" - you must not be "local" (in the US)

Haylen

Tomato05 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Haylen - true, the "crisps" gave me away! I am not in the USA, but in Australia.

I also work with metric measures like kilograms, kilometers, so have to convert all the time when I come here. I also have to remember 'candy', not sweets,' cookies,' not biscuits, 'cilantro', not coriander, etc.!

Anyway, yes, I think the Food Pyramid Guideline should focus also on the non-plated items!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Tomato05's response:
A visit to your country - on my bucket list! And I'll have to have some crisps and sweets when I get there....

:)

Haylen

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
272 of 337 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.