Skip to content

Announcements

Juice Fasting (Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead)
puzzlegut posted:
I just watched the documentary Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. The guy in the film fasted by only drinking fruits/vegtables that he juiced in his juicer for 60 days. He claimed that it helped to detox him and get him to jump start a healthy living. I'm curious as to how healthy it would be do a juice fasting for a week, as he generally suggested.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

BigDaddyMatty replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I really appreciate reading the comments by Pam Peeke. One thing makes absolutely no sense to me when it comes to "juicing" and that is the constant comments about being hungry while subsiding on juice.

Why not simply eat the vegetables themselves? Eat them raw or steamed but eat them and get all that wonderful roughage into your system. Not only will it be healthier than just the juice, you also won't feel hungry.

I can cut-up a very large platter of: tomatoes, celery, carrots, radishes, cucumber, snow peas, butter lettuce, green onions, red/green bell pepper and a red or white onion in very little time.

It takes 30-40 minutes of almost constant chewing to clean the platter and when I'm done I am FULL. I suppose I really don't understand the juicing thing.

Dansk2011 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
This article is a smart read. To the point & easy to understand. Those considering "detox" should read. I can attest to point # 7, i.e. going too long = grogginess, memory problems, weakness, etc.

NotSoFast replied to BigDaddyMatty's response:
I groan when I read these various sites. The nutritionists have their narrow view and everyone has an opinion. The one thing we all need to remember is that while we are somewhat similar, we are also fairly unique. What works for a Caucasian male of say European decent will not necessarily be appropriate for a native American woman past 50. Some people need the rest a juice fast provides to bring down inflammation. Protein may not be right for them, while it is highly useful to you.
If there were a prescription that actually worked for everyone, we wouldn't have the health epidemic we currently do.

redhotmama1969 replied to BigDaddyMatty's response:
An average woman of 150 pounds would have to eat THREE POUNDS of veggies in one day to reach the daily intake goal suggested. Could you really eat 4-5 POUNDS of veggies a day? I think not. You can get so much more (even minus the pulp) from juicing. I add a protein powder to my juices to supplement during a fast & before & after workouts.

totallywiggedout replied to brunosbud's response:
Unfortuantely, I have to agree with Bruno here( ;P)
Juicing sounds like a good way to go for the short term, but when you only use the juice and throw away the pulp and fibrous "leftovers' you are throwing away the parts that help your body's digestive system, not to mention help to fill you up and keep you full longer, the most.
All the fiber..
Plus, if you are using lots of fruits you are actually getting most of those calories and sugars from the fruits. So using the Juice of an apple(or two), orange(or two ), kiwi and maybe some blueberries or strawberries and then some watery veggies....All in a single glass???! Add it up. Thats a ton of sugars in one glass that won't even keep you full till lunch.
I mean, would or COULD you even sit down and eat that many fruits in one sitting? No, I doubt it because it'd FILL YOU UP way before you could get that much down. Better to give your jaws a workout and eat your foods.
kim
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work --- Thomas Edison

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

brunosbud replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I wish to commend you on your integrity and courage, TWO...

I know how hard it was for you to agree with me.

On a side note, I wanted to comment on your recent mention of walking up hospital stairs.

Walking uphill is great exercise because it combines both aerobic and strength training at the same time. When you walk hospital stairs, you introduce a third dimension to the activity: Dynamic Balance. Any exercise that requires aerobics, strength and balance are the ultimate activities for your body in terms of improving your health. This is why Skiing is awesome. Basketball is great. Yoga is exceptional. Tennis is superb, too. These activities force you to (1.) react and they (2.) challenge your balance, every second.

My preferred exercise is walking, but I do it in a way that people would seldom consider. While walking, I perform movements designed to intentionally challenge my balance... twists, bends, hops, skips, striking/punching, etc...

If you observe, the basic premise of P90X and Insanity is to perform movements that are designed to make you lose your balance. Dynamic balance and strength training equals core strength. This is why you get ripped, fast. They take movements that are aerobic, require strength and throw you off balance. Then, they ask that you perform them at speed.

Question for those over 50. Ever notice how clumsy we're becoming with age? How, sometimes, we feel slightly off-kilter and unstable when walking? How you find yourself falling down with frequency?

The reason is plain and simple. You no longer perform activities that challenge your balance.

PetuniaPea responded:
I don't juice because it takes too much effort, and I'm lazy! Plus, I don't like to make huge messes in the kitchen. Not to mention, I'm on a budget, so I'd rather spend money on produce than an expensive juicer, plus the tons of produce I would need to go on a juice fast.

Another documentary where the documentarian gets healthier through the course of the film is Forks Over Knives. He exchanges his unhealthy, fast-food diet for a more healthy, whole food, plant-based diet. This doc has inspired me to stay the course, as I too am eating a whole food, plant-based diet! (It's a more approachable term, rather than saying vegan, which has gotten a bad rap these days, not sure why.)

It's easy, not much cooking has to be involved, unless you want to go gourmet, then it's up to you how complicated you want to make your whole food, vegan meals.

The IMDb page for Forks Over Knives explains it all in their plot summary: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1567233/plotsummary

Their official site with articles, recipes, and resources: http://www.forksoverknives.com/

My final thought on juicing: If it's what you love, go ahead and do it, enjoy a glass or two a day...just make sure you are still eating a diet high in fiber. And don't go overboard with juice fasting; I don't think it's necessary. I still think you can detox just as well on a high fiber, whole food, plant-based diet! And including 8-12 cups of filtered water daily is a great way to naturally and cheaply detox as well!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

janetess replied to brunosbud's response:
I disagree with you wholeheartedly. I have done a juice fast very successfully. With the JUST JUICE and no fiber that you get when using the VitaMix you get so much more nutrients which is assimilated immediately. The vegies with all the fiber is nice but the nutrients are not extracted as in juicing. There is an extraction with juicing that does not exist with the Blending of vegies into a vitamix or other blender. The Nutri-Bullet comes very close by giving us the fiber and the extraction. But, has you saw in the movie, you would have to eat tons and tons of vegies and fruits (you'd be eating all day and night) to attempt to get what you get in juicing. This is really true. Not just my opinion. janetess

janetess replied to conniejuicer's response:
Bravo! Keep it up for life. Nice to hear this. Janetess

janetess replied to conniejuicer's response:
I agree with you. Brunosbud is off. Does not realize what she is saying but has made a mistake that many people make. janetess

janetess replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I do not agree with Brunosbud nor you. I have studied this for ever and been on both kinds of fasts. With the just juice you get the entire show. Total assimilation. Total extraction. When blending like in the VitaMix, which I have and love, the fiber is not assimilated into the system and the fiber maybe sweeping out too much. We do not need that much fiber. However, the juice is the blood of the vegies and fruits. The fiber is the broom and most is NOT ASSIMILATED. Just like the essential oils in aromatherapy are the blood of the herb. The herbs are nice but they are not as potent as the essential oil. The frequency of oils is higher than the herbs. Herbs are higher than most foods. Juicing is high frequency! janetess

brunosbud replied to janetess's response:
The big difference between you and I is I believe in the power of mind; What you can believe, you can achieve. Thus, I believe you believe juicing works. I don't believe your "off"...I also believe you believe you're an "expert".

Congratulations.

torrak replied to brunosbud's response:
I am on day 6 of a juice fast, my first one. I started after I watched the Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead documentary. The first 3 days were not easy but each day since I have felt better.

I am not hungry all the time, much less than when I was eating poorly.
I feel better overall, energy is good, thinking is clear, I am even starting to sleep better. I am more refreshed when I wake up.
A 15, 30, 60 day juice fast is not going to kill you. It may even help you. On the other hand it might not, no one knows until they try. And that is really my point. I am trying it and when I'm done, whenever that is I will post how it went.

I have read so many posts on so many sites where people say, "I won't ever want to walk behind you" "Your not getting any protein or fats" "You won't have any energy".

Not one of those people did a juice fast. Don't be those people. Try it and then post how it went for you. And remember, that was you, and it will not be the same for all.

For me, so far so good,

dmacd47 replied to conniejuicer's response:
What would you do with the pulp? How would you use it?

saaaaa123 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you, this advice will come in handy.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
204 of 249 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.