Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
I'm so HUNGRY!!
Aurora_Bell posted:
Hey guys, I am new to the site, so please be gentle

I have recently been diagnosed with gallbladder issues, (gallstones, inflamation, ulcers, GERD...) and was put on a strict diet by the emergency room doctor ( I have yet to see my own doc about the issue), he told me to only eat vegtables and fruit until they call me for the opperation. So I am on week 2 of STARVING.

I'll give some history, I have always struggled with weight but managed to keep my self between the 120-150lbs range, after giving birth (C section) to my only daughter 4 years ago I have not lost a single pound of my baby weight. I'm about 200lbs now. Where before it was only in my belly, it has now dispursed (to my horror) all over my body. I have (crash) dieted and never lost a pound.

My main isssue is no matter how much fruit and veg I eat, I am constantly starving! I have been making fruit and veg shakes in the morning, snacking on veggie sticks and fruit durring the day, and eating home made vegtable soups with no slat (God how I'd love to buy a salt lick and hide it under the bed...). I just polished off a medium sized container of raw celery, carrot sticks and mixed peppers, I have my water and I am SO hungry. Is it just my brain playing a mean trick on me? Can I seriously be this hungry? Will it ever stop?? When can I expect to see some weight loss? I have just joined the gym (yesterday) and today is my first cardio work out. There has GOT to be something else I can eat to make my self feel full. Any suggestions?

brunosbud responded:
"When can I expect to see some weight loss?"

Do you believe in charity?

Do you ever give without the expectation of something in return?

I don't know you but I would hope that you do...

"...so please be gentle..."

Alright, quid pro quo...Don't ask "that" unless you be gentle to yourself.

Be charitable to your body.
Give it what it needs, without telling it what you need in return. Quit giving your body silly ultimatums...

What? If you don't lose 5 pounds by next Wednesday you're going back to jelly donuts? Really? You'd do that to the person that gave birth to your child?

Aurora_Bell replied to brunosbud's response:
Umm....? I get the metaphorical stuff here, but you're not answering my questions. I am asking why I feel so hungry when all I do is eat. I never said I gave an ultimatum, did you not read the part where I said I was put on a strict diet by my doctor? I don't need to take a deep spiritual journey here, I need to know why I am so darn hungry all the time!!

jis4judy replied to Aurora_Bell's response:
Hi Aurora
sometimes when you change your eating habits like you did you get false hunger because your body is used to other foods ... drink tea or water it could be thirst feeling like hunger . When I gave up sweets I had intense cravings for that nasty icecream to be specific I know I ate enough calories but the craveings where there after a while they went away .
Good luck
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 153ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

Aurora_Bell replied to jis4judy's response:
Hi Judy, thanks for the reply.

I was starting to wonder if it was nothimg more than a phycological thing. My body wasn't used to not getting all the crappy foods I was eating so she thought she was hungry. I'll try to up the intake of water and teas. Does anyone know of any foods that will bring on that full feeling with out the calories?

jis4judy replied to Aurora_Bell's response:
are you allowed to eat air popped popcorn thats a great filler upper can you have old fashion oatmeal ? that keeps me full till lunch ..
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 153ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

Aurora_Bell replied to jis4judy's response:
I'm actually on a pretty strict diet of only frutis and veg. Although today I may have cheated a little..I was just SO hungry. But I am suffering for that now. Tummy is in intense pain. I guess it'll will just take some time to get used to a new way of life. Thanks again for your suggestions. I'll double check on that air popped pop corn.

mommaxeli replied to Aurora_Bell's response:
Are you strictly following doctor's orders? Are you truly eating ONLY fruits and vegetables? If so, you are probably not getting enough calories (and hence, starving!). 1200 is the recommended MINIMUM daily caloric intake. To get even that amount, you'd have to be eating tons and tons of fruit and vegetables. I'm talking platefuls, several times a day! (For instance, today for lunch I had 1 cup of broccoli, 3 oz. baby carrots, half of a bell pepper, a handful of cauliflower, and an apple. All for a whopping 150 calories. You'd have to eat that much eight times a day to get the minimum calories.) And adding on exercise means you need even more.

I would also get a second opinion on that diet recommendation. I don't know much about GERD, but I'm sure there are other foods that are safe to eat in the meantime. And I'd follow up with your regular doctor ASAP. Sometimes ER doctors don't know enough of your background to give sound advice. They are too busy; you could have gotten lost in the mix. Two weeks is a long time to wait to hear back from them! I'd be going crazy myself...

As far as weight loss...hang in there! It will come if you stick with it. I've been through several plateaus, and they are frustrating. I've just broken through one this week, actually. I've been through enough that I now know that if you stick with it, it will pay off in the end!

nursingbug replied to mommaxeli's response:
I agree with Mommaxeli- I would call your pcp, and explain on the phone what the er told you. they may give you some recomendations until you can be seen.
part of it may be psycological, but I don;t think all of it is. fruits and veggies are wonderful, but they do not have protien, which is very important to feeling full, and they do not have fat, which also important for feeling full. you problably are not getting the cals you need.
for gerd, you need a bland diet, and for gallbladder issues, a low fat diet, but not a FAT FREE diet. Our bodies need fat! Not cheeseburgers, but some lean meat like chicken breast, or fish or something. Don't take my word for it, call your doctor, but eating nothing but fruits and vegetables is not a good idea.
Have you eaten beans, like kidney beans? those have protien and might make you feel full.. also avocado, have fat and protien... they left you a loophole...

nursingbug replied to nursingbug's response:
oh and I forgot- I wanted to also say- I hear that it is really frustrating when you arent losing weight, but right now your body has a lot going on with the gallbladder and reflux stuff, and you may not see the weight loss right away

Aurora_Bell replied to nursingbug's response:
Wow! Thanks guys. This was really helpful info. Mommaxeli, I think you found my problem!! I was only eating fruits and veg. And not enough by the sounds of it. I felt like all I was doing was eating raw veggies, and come to find out, some veggies like celery even help you burn calories while eating! I was definilty not eating anywhere's near the 1200 calories I should have been. I think the max amount I was taking in was 750. I felt at any minute I could just purge and eat my self silly. Not what I am looking to do.

I also agree it's sound advice to see my doctor. Thank you guys so much for the support. Would any of you have any links or know any good reciepes/diets for the gallbladder issues?

Also, do you think the lack of other nutrients in my diet would cause severe headaches? Since being on this diet I have a headache every morning.

Aurora_Bell replied to Aurora_Bell's response:
Also congradulations to you for getting off that plateau. Man it's hard work isn't it?!

mommaxeli replied to Aurora_Bell's response:
Thanks! It is hard work...but worth it!

I'm not sure, but I would guess that the new diet sure could cause headaches. Lack of nutrients, low calories, dehydration, the shocking change, etc. could all be causing them.

Here's a WebMD article about a gallbladder diet:
http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/features/gallbladder-diet-foods-for-gallbadder-problems

I found it interesting in the article that fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy, and lean protein are all a part of a gallbladder diet...I think your ER doctor was in error. It also suggests that a low-calorie diet is not the way to go...You've been starving for nothing, if not making things worse!!!

If you google gallbladder diet, there are all kinds of websites out there. I didn't post any links because I didn't have enough time to check them out and see which ones were worth the time and which ones were junk sites!
Work at home mom of 4. SW: 260 CW: 182 GW:150.

Aurora_Bell replied to mommaxeli's response:
Thanks! Ugg well it's a relief that I can eat something!! I'll have to crack down and spend some serious time going through the google searches, I found a lot of garbage when I did it the first time. Thaks for the artice, I'll have a look now.

Bella

rules6 responded:
Hi, Aorora. I too have similar conditions going on except I am a diabetic. I just purchased PUREBERRYMAX and I have to remind myself to eat!!! Have lost 3 lbs. in 9 days so I am on the right track, finally! When my Doctor told me to lose 40 lbs. I burst out laughing(which he did not appreciate) and asked him if he thought I wanted to weigh 200lbs!?!? As if I hadn't been trying to lose it. For the past year I managed a 6 lb. loss but I too was STARVING to the point where I couldn't sleep due to my stomach growling. My diabetic nurse recommended I keep a bowl of salad in the fridge to eat when hungry. Well, I am sick of salad and drinking all that water had me up 6 to 7 times a night heading to the bathroom rendering me too tired to exercise the following day. Try the PUREBERRYMAX and see if it doesn't help diminsh the constant hungaries! Sincerely, Rules6 GOOD LUCK TO US ALL!

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
274 of 339 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.