Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
new one....Please HELP me!!!!
An_239709 posted:
hey.... m not being able to low my sugar intake, can any1 tell what shud i do?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon - Do you mean your blood sugar level or eating sugar?

Let us know what you are struggling with and I'll see if I can point you towards additional information!

Haylen

rabeya replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you Haylen.....
I meant that I cannot control eating sugary food... and it really creates a great problem in losing weight...

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to rabeya's response:
rabeya -

I get it! I have a sweet tooth. My daughter asked me which one it was and I had to say "all of them!"

Sugary snacks make you crave more sugary snacks - and so on, and so on and so on!

Here's an article I found extremely helpful:

13 Ways to Fight Sugar Cravings

Check it out and then come back - I want to see what you think! I'm mostly off sugar...caffeine is my big problem right now.

Haylen

rabeya replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Haylen

thanks alot...
i just read the article, i think that this could help me in some way or the other...

And YES its true that once u start eating sugar you cannot stop from eating more n more n more.

Rabia.

uunbccvg replied to rabeya's response:
thought it was just me that had to have more&more

MARCH61971 replied to rabeya's response:
Several years ago I cut my sodium intake to 1500 mg daily. Over time, I realized that I less and less interest in sweet foods. I often find myself saying, "that's too sweet" and not eating the item. This was never the case when I ate a higher sodium diet. It's not a quick fix and it may not work for others, but I've lost 15 pounds without "dieting". Good Luck!

brunosbud replied to MARCH61971's response:
Brilliant observation. It never occurred to me but I'm betting this is true. Thanks!

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks for your posting. Well, you didn't provide a whole lot of information, but what the heck, let's roll with it. There's an emerging science which is indicating that refined sugar is quite addictive to many people. That means you need to go out of your way to try to avoid the stuff. It takes a while for your body to adapt but you can do it. Here are some tips. If you're a stress overeater and knee jerk right into sweets when you feel helpless, hopeless and defeated, then you need to address the best way to cope with stress without dipping into the sweets. Next up, you need to be keenly aware of where sugar is hidden and thus can trigger overeating. Stick with whole foods, watery fruits (grapes and the like have too much sugar for many people) like berries and melon, vegetables and again if you want to kill sugar cravings, aim for protein fiber combos like low fat cheese and an apple, turkey slices and some veggies. Works like a charm. Exercise really helps out. It smooths out your stressful moods and helps you cope better. It also helps you to rein in your appetite. The key is to get the sugar out of your house and be vigilant wherever you go. You can do this.
Good luck!
Dr Peeke

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 239 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.