Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Healthy Foods Kids Will Eat?
RoseLynn02 posted:
Hi. I'm a mom of 2 picky girls (ages 3 & 11months) and I'm trying to diet & figure out an at home exercise routine( that doesn't cost anything). I have no idea what kind of lunches & dinners I could make that are healthy & my kids will actually eat. I'm lost...please help?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

mommaxeli responded:
I have two boys that are 3 and 1. I also run a daycare with three other toddlers. They are all "picky". However, if they don't eat what I serve, they don't eat. Period.

I've also found that most "picky" kids are not actually picky. They definitely have preferences for foods, usually the not so healthy ones. And they learn quickly that if they don't eat the healthy foods served to them, their parents panic that they're "starving" and give them whatever they want. "Just so long as they eat SOMETHING!!!" That's where we get into the habit of just serving chicken nuggets and mac and cheese, because it's a sure bet that they'll eat.

The fact is, kids will not starve themselves. Start serving healthy foods. Now. It WILL be a battle for a few meals (or a few weeks!!!) But if you are consistent, they will come around. I had one kid that literally gagged himself (to the point of puking several times) every time I served him any kind of vegatable...he's now one of my best vegetable eaters. And guess what? He still won't eat vegetables for his parents. Because he KNOWS how to play the game.

For my own son, it sometimes comes down to leaving his plate out for several hours. He'll eventually come back to it and eat. Or sometimes serving it differently. Just last week, we had a showdown over green beans. He wouldn't touch them on his plate. But when I put them in a bowl and let him eat them on the couch, he gobbled them up.

You can also try serving foods in a fun way. I like to cut apples up with a mandolin slicer; they look just like french fries! I've also been known to make scenes with food (broccoli trees, green bean grass, radish flowers, etc). You've got to find out what works and run with it!

When it comes to kids, you have to pick your battles. I believe healthy eating is one battle worth sticking to!
Work at home mom of 4. SW: 260 CW: 170 GW:150.

nursingbug replied to mommaxeli's response:
I love those ideas!
SW 320 CW 247 GW 200 Pregnant and maintaining weight, for details see my story!

RoseLynn02 replied to mommaxeli's response:
Those are awesome ideas. See thought the issue with my DD isn't just that she is picky though. She will try anything I put in front of her if I ask her to & she is honest about whether she likes it or not. She loves fruit & does pretty good with most veggies. My issue is more what kind of healthy meats & starchy foods can I make I guess. Like she won't eat fish & gets tired of chicken quick. She is a steak & potatoes kind of girl (takes after her dad who couldn't gain a pound if he tried.). I can't make her eat things she doesn't like because she was born with GERD & although she pretty much out grew it, if I make her eat something she will eat it without much of a fuss but it comes right back up & not because she makes it. So you can see how that kind of adds a complication. & I don't eat pork, not for religious reasons I just don't like it, & I'm not sure if those are all healthy meats or if the way I'm cooking them makes a difference. I know that the size counts, but I don't even know the sizes I should be eating....

nursingbug replied to RoseLynn02's response:
Is she consistently throwing up with specific foods? If she is I would talk to her pedi about it, and possibly see a pediatric dietician. Some kids gag a different textures, and it is hard to pinpoint why. Almost any meat is ok as long as it is lean, as far as I know. Steak isn't bad as long as it is lean, and not everyday. My daughter is 3 and I don't really make anything special. My favorite recipe books are those 5 ingredient, 15 min cookbooks from cooking light and weight watchers. I just make what sounds good to me from them and put it in front of her. She doesn't always eat it at first but after some time she will try it. Starch wise you can't go wrong with whole grain noodles and brown rice, whole grain bread, potatoes are good too in moderation.
For portion sizes for kids you can find on that myplate.gov site- they have recomendations for different ages, adults as well. I did that for my 3 yr old and it was great.
SW 320 CW 247 GW 200 Pregnant and maintaining weight, for details see my story!

RoseLynn02 replied to nursingbug's response:
Thanks so much for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to RoseLynn02's response:
Rose,

My girls love veggeis dipped in hummus. They would never eat a bowl of tomatoes or cucumbers or red pepper strips...but bring out some hummus and they go to town.

Please check back in and let us know how you (and the kids) are doing!

Haylen

RoseLynn02 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I have never even thought of trying hummus for the kids, but then again I have never tried hummus. My parents were here the last four days though & took my oldest daughter to stay with them from yesterday till tomorrow( 11/24-11/27 & 11/27-11/29). My mom is remarkable with my daughter. She somehow can get her to eat just about anything. I have been talking to her since seeing how effectively she gets her eating healthy & she has been giving me some little pointers. My youngest has been Doing really well too. Turns out her eating issue was a complete eating issue. She didn't want anything because she was teething. She has 4 teeth coming in on the top right now all at once & just once milk, water, & sleep. She eats here & there & it's enough for me to not be concerned & I know she will be back to eating well once her teeth come in more. Funny thing that's what it turned out to be with her bottom teeth & I should of figured it this time. Thanks for all the help & advice everyone. Having the support is awesome considering I live in a new state with my parents being 1hr &1/2 away & they are the closest relative to me, I haven't established any friendships here yet, & my husband drives truck. Thanks again.

GeoffreySage replied to RoseLynn02's response:
My biggest problem is trying to get my son (16 months) to eat anything with protein. Eggs, meat, cheese, etc - doesn't touch the stuff. (Usually.) He drinks plenty of milk though, so that helps, I hope. I don't have a problem having a little vegetarian, but my MIL is from the Midwest and doesn't understand. Any tips on veggie proteins? He's allergy-free, so that's not a concern.

As far as veggies/fruit go, he'll eat *anything* except green beans. He'll even pick out the little bits of minced garlic and eat them straight. (Weird, I know.) Also, he dislikes sweet things. We've actually tried to give him cake & the like and he just spits it out at you and gives a look like "How dare you feed me sugar." I think I may have the only 1-year-old who prefers a vegetable curry to ice cream...

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to GeoffreySage's response:
Click here for a post from our expert Dr. Peeke regarding some protein options: http://forums.webmd.com/3/diet-exchange/tip/117/2#2

My kids loved to eat tofu (which I don't like). I bought the "firm" type and cut it into little squares. Good for fine motor skills as they moved a slippery little tidbit to their mouths!

I could toss a handful of beans onto the high chair tray and they would gobble them up as well.

I actually know one other 1 year old who doesn't like sweets..but that's no me or my girls! They inherited mommy's sweet tooth. And it's a big tooth

Haylen

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to RoseLynn02's response:
Also RoseLynn, I have some ideas for establishig friendships.

Have you checked out MomsClub.org? Also you can look at MeetUp.com or Yahoo Groups to find moms in your area with kids the same age.

Finding "free" groups was a LIFESAVER for me. All of my "BK" (before kids) friends were single or childless with lots of money!

Haylen

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to nursingbug's response:
Good idea nursingbug!

Here's a link to a printable version of the USDA Healthy Plate Icon with food suggestions:

http://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/webmd/consumer_assets/site_images/media/pdf/diet/usda_food_icon_advancer_print.pdf

H

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 239 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.