Skip to content

Announcements

Food allergies and weight loss
dkbuff posted:
I just found out that I am allergic to egg whites, all cheeses ( so diary products) and gluten- wheat products. So I am eating quinoa and chia with coconut milk yogurt for breakfast. I have gained about 7 pounds since I changed my diet which is very frustrating. I need to figure out what to eat that won't aggrevate my allergies but help me lose 40 pounds. Most of the diet websites are set up for packaged food and I'm really branching out into strange, unknown calorie content foods.

Mariposa50 responded:
I have been using a diet tracker called "My fitness pal". It has a very extensive data base to include prepackaged foods, restaraunt meals and homemade preparations. If you are serious about tracking your diet I have found this extremely useful. It will not only track calories but will break down the individual components so you can be sure you are getting enough of the right combinations ex. Proteins, fats, and carbs. I

I had reached a plateau with my weight loss and with the help of a nutritionist I adjusted my diet to include more plant based fats and proteins and not only increased the number of daily calories consumed but lost those last 5 stubborn pounds without changing anything other than diet.

Good luck

Mariposa50 replied to Mariposa50's response:
I forgot to mention I also have been avoiding wheat, dairy, eggs, soy, and many other foods I was discovered to have a sensitivity to. I have MS and exercise is difficult so a prudent diet is the best way for me to help manage my health and weight.

seeit2 responded:
Check out my Food Allergy exchange here:

http://exchanges.webmd.com/food-allergy-families

Many people on that board are living or helping others live with food allergies - I'd suggest you stop in there and ask for help. We've all been down that road with you!

Deb

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
203 of 248 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.