Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Alli and Me
eyeluvmusic21 posted:
Hi! I'm wanting some advice and some inspiration!

I'm 24, currently 5'8'' and 250lbs. According to the BMI, I should be down around 165lbs more or less. I really want to lose some weight; more like I need to lose some weight. I'm getting married in 5 months, and I would like to lose some pounds before then.

I'm looking at trying Alli. I had talked to my P.A. and she said it's safe to use and she thinks that it would work for me. When it comes to my diet (or lack there of) I pretty much have been eating out or eating cheap (ie frozen pizza from the store); and lately I've been on a sweet kick. Its terrible when you can or almost can eat an entire box of chocolate pop tarts in a day. I do tend to eat/over eat when I'm bored and/or depressed.

I know that the Alli pill is not that "magic" pill and that I'm not going to lose weight at the drop of a hat, but would it coupled with exercise and diet at least help my chances of success? I've been trying to read up on the effects and what people were saying out it, thus why I'm here. I have access to a gym which I'm paying for out of my rent, and I have my Wii Fit Plus to supplement any other exercise I do.

I've read that if you suffer from depression to not take it; well I'm borderline bi-polar, taking Lamictal and Lexapro. I also heard that it can cause issues with your gallbladder, but mine was finally removed in 2007 after 3-4 trips to an ER within 9 months.

What do you guys think? I would love an expert opinion please!!

Thanks!

bobby75703 responded:
Concerning the Alli, keep your money. In the end, the only thing that loses weight is your wallet.

Nothing works better than diet and exercise with permanent lifestyle changes. Notice I said permanent. Whatever you do, It has to be something you can live with for the rest of your life, or else you will just regain the weight later.

You said "border line bipolar." Make sure with your doctor your thyroid function is normal, or else you will be fighting an uphill battle.

Bobby

brunosbud responded:
The National Weight Control Registry is an ongoing study (17 years old thus far) of over 6000 adults who've dropped an average of 66 pounds and kept it off an average of 5.5 years.

http://forums.webmd.com/3/diet-exchange/resource/5

Wouldn't you rather learn from people who know what they're doing?

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks so much for your posting. Welcome to our community.

Alli is not a magic pill. Given your medical status I would not recd. Also, it doesn't decrease the absorption of your sweets, as it only affects fats. As well, it has rough side effects.

You're a compulsive eater and probably addicted to carbs like the sweets and starches you mention. You need to be under the care of a registered dietitian who can create a plan customized to your meds and medical status and your baseline weight.

Also, to help augment that, you can log onto WebMD's Food and Fitness Planner and get started on a simple straightforward plan to help guide you.

And, we here to support you every step of the way.

Dr. Peeke

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
203 of 248 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.