Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
DIET !!
syeera26 posted:
Hello and I am new here. so I really am not sure how these things work. I am currently on a strict diet and i hope to get some guide. This is my meal plan. For breakfast I take a bowl of cereal and a cup of low fat milk. For lunch I take bigger portion of veggies and smaller portion of meat or fish depending on what I have. As for dinner, I take almost the same as lunch. I do no take rice, soft drinks, juice, fast food, desserts or even bread. For snacks, I go on fruits such as green apple and pear. How is my diet going? Is it okay or should I make any changes. I am supposed to lose at least 10 kg to get my ideal weight. I am also doing exercises at home using the Wii fit for at least 40 mins a day. I split to morning and evening since I am quite busy. Please leave a comment.

bobby75703 responded:
Syeera,

Glad to see you taking steps in the right direction.

Depending on what cereal you eat in the morning, you may want to ditch the cereal. Old fashioned oats is great, but if its refined flakes, etc, its no different than commercially prepared breads.

I know rice takes a beating in diet circles. But some of the thinnest people in the world consume rice. Look carefully at South Korea. My wife has white sticky rice with every meal. She weighs 96 lbs.

While I was waiting at DFW airport international arrivals for three hours, I watched carefully as the flight crews from different nations walked by. Korean Airlines had the thinnest flight crew.

Good job on ditching the sodas and sweets etc. Can't go wrong with that.

Bobby

Carter02 responded:
That is good you decided to come up with a plan. I am just getting started and hopefully I can balance myself and come up with a meal and exercise plan.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks so much for your posting. Welcome to our community! Good for you to be so proactive about your health.
I'm not thrilled with the word "strict". The way one sheds the pounds has to be healthy and reasonable and sustainable. Can we change up the language and therefore the mental focus to a change in lifestyle for the better?

I'd get rid of the cereal as it's empty cals. Instead you need protein, fiber and healthy fat. Greek yogurt with walnuts and berries. Omelet with veggies and low fat cheese. Oatmeal with walnuts and berries. Protein shake with fruit, vanilla whey protein powder, and water or skim milk is great. Much more satisfying and kills carb cravings.

Lunch and dinner with lean protein and veggies is great.

I'd recd a mid-afternoon snack like a shake or yogurt.

Log onto the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner for more terrific ideas.

Wiifit is great and keep it up. You may want to just get outside and walk as well. Great to mix it up.

Dr. Peeke

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
204 of 249 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.