Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
HELP
kimann79 posted:
do you eat breakfast first,or do you work out first????

laurieeagle responded:
it works best for me to work out first

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
I think it depends on the individual. What you eat for breakfast and your workout is more important than the timing.

If I don't have a little food before I get my heart rate up, I get queasy!

Haylen

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks for your posting. Good question and one that is asked frequently.

Breakfast is a full meal, and to properly digest a meal you need about an hour and half before your insulin and related hormones levels settle down. You need things to settle down so that you can access your glucose and fat fuel most efficiently. So working out after breakfast means waiting that time which is fine for some people's schedules.

Some people then wake up and do their workout and then have breakfast. Others have a pre-workout snack, usually something simple and effective, like a TBSP peanut butter on apples or banana slices, or a small yogurt.

It really depends upon how long your workout is, what level intensity and how many hours it's been since you last ate.

As well, listen to your body. Are you rip roaring hungry upon awakening? Well, have a snack then workout. Or, breakfast, wait the time, and then workout.

You've got options!

Dr. Peeke

mjwoodall responded:
Eat breakfast first

Maro24 replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
just have a little question which alternatives are there for these before workout snacks and what should they contain?
which types of sugar or fiber which vitamins and so on?
thanks for advising

NutritionRevolution replied to Maro24's response:
I have a formula1 Sport which is a healthy meal replacement shake that is formulated with athletes in mind. It's not just a protein shake but it has L-glut amine in it as well to support muscle recovery. If I don't have anything I too get sick to my stomach, feel weak, sweaty and shaky... If I have even something like a piece of toast with peanut butter it sits in my stomach and makes he want to throw up. This is about all that has been highly successful at not making me sick and it's only 170 calories so after I still have breakfast!!

spinn2win responded:
walked first

JasonNicholson responded:
I usually workout early in the morning as well and have done so for several years, so my body has adapted to it. I do sometimes eat a little snack before the workout as Dr. Peeke suggested, but this is mainly for the days that I know I will be weight lifting. I will have a pre-workout drink on the days that I do not eat and about 20 minutes before the workout. My cardio workouts are high intensive training and get my heart rate way up there, so I personally do not want to eat too much before hand.

Now, with that said, I will plan ahead and the night before I will usually have my specially formulated shake for my dessert. It fills me up and gives me a little energy for the early morning workout. If you are new to working out int he morning, I would recommend having a workout recovery drink handy in case you start to "BONK" as I call it, or hit the wall. There are several good ones out there, just be careful to not get one with a lot of crazy ingredients that you cant read. I can recommend a few if that is something you want to try.

If you are not eating before your workout, you better make sure you do right after it. I tend to get a bad headache if I forget to eat after a tough workout and I would hate for that to happen to anyone else.

I like a good protein shake and a small piece of lean protein like chicken and maybe even a half a sweet potato or a cup of brown rice.

Whichever way you go, until you learn how your body reacts to the early morning workouts, try to get int he habit of writing down how you feel when you do or do not eat before working out. Track it for a week and see which works better for your body and your goals.

Good luck and happy working out bright and early tomorrow morning!

Atalacus responded:
I definitely workout first. The first few days of my new workout regimen was hard, but then my body adjusted. If I work out after eating, morning or afternoon, I feel sluggish and don't get as much done. In the morning I do 30 minutes of cardio, take a shower, and then eat my 2 cups of oatmeal and I'm good until lunch. It has definitely been an experience changing my lifestyle to lose some weight.

http://insearchofliving.blogspot.com/

hueyflyer responded:
I try to take my walk/run first, otherwise I don't have near as much energy, and feel sluggish.

frieriff responded:
I work out first

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
274 of 339 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.