Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Government involvement in Dieting/Obesity
Kasamom posted:
I think government should provide opportunities for helping people plan diet and exercise, if requested. It would really help if they made facilities available nationwide, payable under medicare, where doctors could refer clients, knowing they will not be turned away.
Should the government be able to demand certain people participate in the government's idea of weight control? Never. IF it is not voluntary, compliance is greatly reduced.
Should the government add help with diabetes diet and exercise? Yes, so little of what is currently available is within the financial grasp of too many people.

bobby75703 responded:
Walking is free.
Push-ups are free.
Crunches are free.
Saying no to junk food is free.

Education on diet and exercise is free. Books at the library or studying online. Its all available to everyone at no charge.

All it takes is the desire and the will to act.

A person could spend a bunch of money on gym memberships, but gym memberships don't fight obesity. A person's will to change fights obesity, and for that no money is required.

Bobby

bobby75703 replied to bobby75703's response:
The only place I see gov't educating people on diet and exercise is to our children in the public school system.

Its a matter of education programs within existing physical education and health classes.

No additional money is needed, just rewrite whats being taught and how class time is spent.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP replied to bobby75703's response:
Hi Boddy and I completely agree about educating children in the school system. This is a golden opportunity to teach kids about healthy lifestyle choices to include physical activity as well.

Unfortunatley, most of the PE and health classes no longer exist. We need to shake up the system once again.

Dr. Peeke

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
Great post!

Bobby, I wish there was a magic solution to encourage everyone to live the healthiest life possible. I think it starts in childhood with good parenting!

Dr. Peeke - my daughter goes to an excellent public school in the Los Angeles area. But it thrives because of over-the-top parent involvement and fun raising.

We raised over $300,000 last year to keep our fabulous PE Coach and buy 20 new computers and hire a teacher for weekly classes.

It's worth all the work! But, again, motivation and initiative can't be forced...

Haylen

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
195 of 240 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.