Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

Includes Expert Content
Government involvement in Dieting/Obesity
Kasamom posted:
I think government should provide opportunities for helping people plan diet and exercise, if requested. It would really help if they made facilities available nationwide, payable under medicare, where doctors could refer clients, knowing they will not be turned away.
Should the government be able to demand certain people participate in the government's idea of weight control? Never. IF it is not voluntary, compliance is greatly reduced.
Should the government add help with diabetes diet and exercise? Yes, so little of what is currently available is within the financial grasp of too many people.
bobby75703 responded:
Walking is free.
Push-ups are free.
Crunches are free.
Saying no to junk food is free.

Education on diet and exercise is free. Books at the library or studying online. Its all available to everyone at no charge.

All it takes is the desire and the will to act.

A person could spend a bunch of money on gym memberships, but gym memberships don't fight obesity. A person's will to change fights obesity, and for that no money is required.

bobby75703 replied to bobby75703's response:
The only place I see gov't educating people on diet and exercise is to our children in the public school system.

Its a matter of education programs within existing physical education and health classes.

No additional money is needed, just rewrite whats being taught and how class time is spent.
Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP replied to bobby75703's response:
Hi Boddy and I completely agree about educating children in the school system. This is a golden opportunity to teach kids about healthy lifestyle choices to include physical activity as well.

Unfortunatley, most of the PE and health classes no longer exist. We need to shake up the system once again.

Dr. Peeke
Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
Great post!

Bobby, I wish there was a magic solution to encourage everyone to live the healthiest life possible. I think it starts in childhood with good parenting!

Dr. Peeke - my daughter goes to an excellent public school in the Los Angeles area. But it thrives because of over-the-top parent involvement and fun raising.

We raised over $300,000 last year to keep our fabulous PE Coach and buy 20 new computers and hire a teacher for weekly classes.

It's worth all the work! But, again, motivation and initiative can't be forced...


Helpful Tips

Batch cook
Try making some low calorie granola bars/cookies. Use oats - good for you and healthy. Use no-added sugar applesauce instead of sugar ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.