Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
New to Dieting
Burnin4You posted:
I just started this diet and exercise thing. over the past 5 years i have gained 70 pounds and i need to lose it im 5'5 and i literaly cant take it anymore. im watching my calories which is really hard and im doing Zumba 1 hour a day on tues wed and thurs and then 2 hours on fri sat sun and mon am i doing this right or do i have it all wrong

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks so much for your posting. Welcome to our community as well! First, how about calling it your "healthy lifestyle" journey instead of "dieting"? The real goal is to develop healthy habits like eating appropriately and doing some form of regular physical activity.

To help you, please log onto the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner and input your data. Then, you'll see a nifty customized plan emerge. You need to account for your eating by logging on--- trust me this really helps and ensures your success over time.

I love the fact that you're doing Zumba--- I'm a fan! However, when you're not going to Z class, are you walking more and staying more active as well? To drop the weight most effectively you also have to add a little weight training. No gym needed! Just use your own body--- in Body for Life for Women, I showed many different ways to get in your resistance training without ever seeing a gym. But building and maintaining your muscle is essential to optimal calorie burning. It's true!

We're here to support you all the way, so let's dig in!

Dr. Peeke

Burnin4You replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
work at an office so i have to sit all day but i do take the stairs instead of the elevator and i have 2 kids i am using the web md food and fitness planner and i love it. I am going to look into the weight training as well i wasnt sure what i should be doing because of how much weight i have to lose but i will definately be doing that now thank you

springmorgan responded:
I have been fit and healthy all my life. I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid in the late 90's. I was able to keep my weight under 200 pounds with running, walking, and biking, until I hit my 40's.

After blowing my knee out for the third time, I cannot run anymore, and bike with difficulty. I am still active, walking 3-4 miles at work. When I have time, I walk several dogs another 3-4 miles several times a week in addition to the walking at work.

I have tried several versions of the slimquick and hydroxy cut weight loss suppliments. However, in stead of losing weight, I gain weight. I have stopped taking weight loss suppliments because of the opposite effects.

My question, if anyone can answer this:
If I eat right, exercise is moderate to active, limit the carbs and fats, get 6-8 fruits and veggies a day, plus the other required nutrients, and limit calories to 1500 a day, why do I gain weight taking weight loss suppliments instead of losing the weight like the dieters advertised in the ads?

Are the suppliments useless or hype and a waste of my money?

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

peparing breakfast the night before
I can plan my breakfast in advance and plan ahead , "when awake". This way one can decide the proper nutrients . More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.