Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
diet supplements
Anon_19460 posted:
I wish to start taking diet supplements. I have epilepsy and I wanted to start ADVOCARE. My Nuerologist warned me against it if it contains ephedrine as it can envoke seizures. Are there any other dietary supplements or programs besides simply "watching what I eat" that an epileptic can utilize! Please help! I'm so bummed that I cant do the ADVOCARE!!!

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi and thanks for your posting. Welcome to our community as well.

Save your money. First your doctor is right. Most of the "weight loss" pills have some ephedrine derivative. You should most definitely not use them.

Hey, why do you need any of this at all? You can do this without taking this stuff. Do yourself a favor and log onto the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner and scope out a real plan and strategy you can use to shed excess weight.

Please don't rely upon these pills and potions.

Rely on your own power.

Dr. Peeke

just_me_517 replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
Hi Dr. Peeke,
I just got a bottle of OTC Chromium Picolinate 1000mcg, to aid with my weight loss efforts. Is this supplement safe to take? (I am taking the low carb aproach to loose weight)
Thanks for your time!!

katt63075 responded:
Hi Anon_19460,
I have taken advocare supplements and I can tell you that there is no ephedrine in Advocare. You can go to their website and each product lists its ingredients. The website is www.advocare.com . Good luck!

ZiziJabber287 responded:
I joined Advocare 6 years ago and quit because I started having seizures. I wasn't sure if the advocare was causing them, but I didn't want to take any chances. It has always been hard for me to control my weight, since some meds cause weight gain and intense exercise can cause seizures. My seizures have been under control for the past few years, but I have been putting on some pounds lately. To lose weight, I have started working out more and I decided to give advocare another shot. Immediately after taking the supplements I start to get double vision. The seizures are back. It would be nice if I could figure out which pills cause the seizures, so I can take the others. The milk shake and energy drink don't affect me.

MilonJones responded:
Hello Friends,

You can get a diet supplement for a prescribed diet, if you:
* Have a specified medical condition
* Are getting a social welfare payment and
* Satisfy a means test
To get a diet supplement, a hospital consultant or a hospital registrar must certify:
* That you or your adult dependant or child dependant has been prescribed a diet because of a specified medical condition
* The type of diet prescribed
* How long you will need the prescribed diet.
A gluten free diet for an adult or a child aged 18 to 22 may be prescribed by your family doctor (GP).
In the case of diet supplements, for example, for people with cystic fibrosis, the long-term illness scheme book may be accepted as verification that such a diet has been prescribed. The length of time for which the diet is being prescribed and the type of diet must be stated.

Best Regards
Milon Jones

brunosbud responded:
I believe that many readers are confusing your post, here. You are referring to diet supplements or drugs to help weight loss...

Dr. Peeke recommends "save your money; long term, they simply don't work".

This has nothing to do with gluten-free diets and supplements for anemia or osteoporosis, etc...Nothing.

On a related topic...

http://news.yahoo.com/study-vitamins-dont-lower-heart-risks-men-170444420.html
Study: Vitamins don't lower heart risks in men

"Many people take vitamin supplements as a crutch," said study leader Dr. Howard Sesso of Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. "They're no substitute for a heart-healthy diet, exercising, not smoking, keeping your weight down," especially for lowering heart risks."

How many doctors does it take for a nation to change how they think about the efficacy of drugs and supplements?

Apparently, more than we have.

PetuniaPea replied to just_me_517's response:
Even though they sell 1000mcg chromium in vitamin stores, that is a very very very high amount and you definitely should keep your doctor informed as it can interfere with other medications. My vitamin book says that that high amount is pretty much only useful for diabetics.
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

PetuniaPea responded:
Anon_19460:

Please reconsider taking diet supplements! Make your "supplements" whole, unprocessed foods, and lots of vegetables and fruits, and the pounds WILL come off. Instead of a quick fix that has a ton of side effects, check out some healthy cookbooks from the library to get yourself inspired to eat more healthfully...maybe even check out a vegan cookbook (I'm vegan!). That's my weight-loss Rx to you!!!
http://www.thedoctorstv.com/GreenFish/posts

EveryonesFavCMT responded:
I have Partial Complex Seizures. I have learned to be careful with any prescription or even the all natural dietary supplements over the 10yrs. As it can interact with my seizure medication, hormonally, and just plain naturally my body can not handle natural stuff. I haven't had issues with sleep and hormone imbalances until I started taking this AdvoCare. I started with Slam and Spark but had a (Niacin and Caffeine interaction). Then did the 10 day Cleanse - Bloated me like a balloon - It was horrible! I looked like I was pregnant. So, I took V16 since there are claims of no caffeine. Took it at 7:00am and went to bed at 7:30pm and slept 24hrs. Missed 4 appointments with clients, which made me mad! It is also affecting hormonally and depressed.

Anon_19460 I would check out the seizure diet "ketogenic diet". Get with a naturopath or dietician.

studentmama7 replied to ZiziJabber287's response:
Hi Zizijabber. I know it has been a long time, but I came across these posts looking up info for a friend. I was wondering if you had heard of the 90 Day Challenge. It is just nutrtion, no exercise necessary. My address is kguerrero.bodybyvi.com if you haven't found something yet, check it out. It may be what you have been looking for. Nothing but nutrition. Good luck. I have suffered with weight issues for decades, but the 90 Day challenge has helped me to keep it off finally.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.