Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

What is water weight and why do we lose it first?
LotaHossain posted:
I've heard of losing water weight when starting a new diet or a new exercise routine. I was just wondering what is water weight, exactly? Why is it the main reason for weight loss during the beginning of a diet or exercise program? Why does this happen and HOW does this happen?
That Sexy babe is somewhere in here, I just gotta work to bring her out. I'm skinny underneath it all...

LotaHossain responded:
I have just recently started watching my calorie intake and modified my diet, made it healthier , and smaller meals with 2 small snacks throughout the day. I have lost 10 lbs. in 2 weeks just by being mindful of what I eat.

Someone had suggested that this initial 10 lbs. is water weight. I noticed yesterday that my breasts feel smaller and today that my neck appears thinner (although to me, my face does not look any less round).

So just wondering if it's true that the water goes first. And also, why do I always seem to lose my breasts before anything else? Why can't it just come from my hips?! I like my breasts just the size they are now- I don't want them any smaller- I want my hips and butt to get smaller!
That Sexy babe is somewhere in here, I just gotta work to bring her out. I'm skinny underneath it all...

nursingbug replied to LotaHossain's response:
Ok, I actually tried to look up the answer to this, but I couldn't find it!
I have been told many times that when you first start a weight loss program you typically lose a lot more at first, and some of this is due to water weight. I believe has something to do with eating healthier, usually people start out with eating better by cutting out fast food, junk food, sweets, and things like that- stuff that has a lot of salt and or sugar in it. Salt and sugar hold on to water, so once your body isn't supplied with this junk, it is able to get rid of water as well. For example, if you ever go eat something really salty, like french fries and a cheeseburger, I can bet money you will see a 2-3 lb weight gain the next day. It is mostly fluid- your body can't put fat on that quick.
The question about losing weight in different places- to a certain extent, we can be geneticly inclined to carry weight in certain places. Does your mom, aunts, grandmother carry more weight in the hips and rear? That just may be the cards you were delt- doesn't mean it won't improve, but it may be more difficult. Unfortuately spot training doesn't work either. I notice that I lose the weight everywhere but my belly, and that is where I would like to lose it- I notice in my arms, chest, etc.
SW 320 CW 247 GW 200 Pregnant and maintaining weight, for details see my story!

jadenmiller replied to LotaHossain's response:
I read in some article that when you reduce your caloric intake , your body gets its needed energy by releasing and utilizing its stores of glycogen. Glycogen holds onto water, so when glycogen is used and burned up for energy, it also releases the water it holds onto.

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 49 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.