Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Slooooow metabolism
puppyluv53 posted:
I can't figure out what is wrong with me. I'm a very active 53 year old. I have exercised consistently for 30 years, I am a vegetarian and I have been on Weight Watchers for over 1 year. To this date, I have only lost 12 pounds. The only way I could do this was to reduce my points below the number recommended for my weight. According to this website I should eat approximately 1800 calories per day in order to lose 1 pound per week. I am scared to death that if I were to eat this much, I would gain weight instead of losing. Anyone else have this problem. What am I doing wrong?

bobby75703 responded:
Maybe you are not doing anything wrong. Have you had a complete thyroid evaluation?

Tomato05 responded:
I don't think you're doing something wrong either. We are simply all different and some of us just require fewer calories, myself included.

If I ate 1800 cal I would definitely balloon. In fact, I maintain my weight at about 1200 to 1400 calories.

It just means that we have to be more careful about our nutrition than most others. While others can eat some "empty calories", we have to really limit those, then we can still get good nutrition at a lower calorie level.

Helpful Tips

sugar subs
I consaltated my allergy cookbook for this one.Alternative sweeteners include :honey,maple syrup,date sugar,fruit ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.