Skip to content

Announcements

One fat person's take on Paula Deen
nursingbug posted:
I have been seeing all of the negitive comments about Paula Deen and her recent revelation on having diabetes, and just wanted to comment. I know some people will blow me out of the water, but I don't care.
I was not suprised of course when she announced that she had diabetes, but I have been surprised at others response to it. That she 'hid' her diabetes and has been making money off of promoting a diabetes causing lifestyle is the worst of these.
Ms Deen has said on several occasions on her programs, that "I am your cook, not your doctor or nurse." No one asked her to be an example of a healthy lifestyle. She became popular for being really good at cooking really great tasting food. That is what she does well. Common sense would lead people to realize that all of the food she cooks is 'sometimes' food; and as artery clogging as it can be, it too can be enjoyed in moderation. It is not her responsibility for our eating habits.
Secondly, her diabetes is really none of our business, no one is required to reveal their medical profile. It can be very hard to deal with diabetes, even worse to deal with when there is a spotlight on you.
Everyone who has been critizising her needs to grow up and take responsibility for their own health. In a way I feel her diagnosis and going public with it may have a positive influence, if people who identify with her and never took their health seriously will start thinking about their health more,
SW 320 CW 247 GW 200 Pregnant and maintaining weight, for details see my story!

abnersmom responded:
Amen, Nursingbug! Couldn't agree more. Paula Deen is NOT the cause of obesity in the U.S nor are Hershey's, McDonald's, Baskin Robbins, Pizza Hut, etc., etc. etc.

Foreverinyoureyes2 responded:
I agree Nursing Bug!

I watch Paula Deen all of the time, and the reason I watch is that she is an excellent entertainer. She is a television personality. I have never once made one of her recipes because I have made a decision not to cook or eat the way that she does on her television show.

I take a lot more issue with Rachel Ray's liberal use of the words, "Figure Friendly". But again, it isn't a television personalities job to make sure that I have the tools to decipher what is truly figure friendly or truly healthy.

I am in charge of my own health plan. I need to take full responsibility for making wise decisions for myself. And Amen to you too Abnersmom. It's easy to point fingers at what is causing the obseity epidemic, but they are all just symptoms, not the cause.

Helpful Tips

Try out this diet plan.
http://8970cixx8q240i4qh9dpvy1kdy.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=RBC31F More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.