Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
I'm losing weight because ____________ February 2012 edition
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
I thought we should start a new discussion about this popular topic to check in with members.

I'm maintaining a 40 lbs weight loss because I feel better mentally and physically and I want to set healthy examples for my two daughters. I'm also very concerned about aging well so I'm doing yoga and cardio (but not enough!)

Who is next?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Foreverinyoureyes2 responded:
I am losing weight because I need to lose some weight!

I have some specific motivations, such as a vacation in Costa Rica in June in which I will have to trek up a mountain, surf, zip line and be on a beach in a swim suit. That is great motivation when I want to get off the ellipitical after 8 minutes...

I too want to be a good healthy role model for my kids. I want them to see me striving towards good health, not towards an arbitrary number on the scale or a jean size.

I am 42, barrelling towards 43 at top speed, and I want to have the ability to be fit, active and healthy now that I am no longer a spring chicken!

And I just feel better physically, mentally and emotionally when I take the time to take care of myself. To eat right, exercise and lead an active healthy lifestyle...

abnersmom responded:
Hi Haylen,

I'm losing weight because I want to be healthier and feel better about myself. I have been on this journey since last June and feel much better physically and mentally. Still have 40 lbs. to go to reach my goal weight, but I've come a long way. My goal after that is to keep eating nutritiously and maintain the loss for life.

Tomato05 responded:
I haven't been losing weight lately...

So I'll rephrase it to I want to lose weight because...

I'll feel much better, mentally and physically at the weight that is right for me. I'll be more energetic, have more zest for life and will be in a better frame of mind. My clothes will look good on me.

Running (which I love) will be easier on my joints.

I know these things will be true, because I've been at that weight before and remember what it was like.

3point14 responded:
I'm losing weight because I'm 23 and don't want to spend my young adult years fat. I also figure this is a good time to do it so my skin can bounce back.

I'm losing weight so hiking is something I can do easily.

I'm losing weight because my boyfriend is starting his healthy journey, too, and seeing him motivates me.

I'm losing weight to look better. I want to be more confident at my job in sales, and I want to feel good about myself when I'm dressed up.

jis4judy responded:
Hi Haylen
I removed 98 excess pounds and I am working on maintaining that ..
because I am healthier now than I have ever been
I no longer suffer from asthma or sore joints
I will maintain this healthy plan for life .
it has been going on since april 2003
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Wow Haylen, I just LOVE these responses. They're all real, authentic and reflect the challenges we all face from aging to hiking a mountain to making certain we hold onto the weight reduction we've already achieved. I pay particular attention to the rewards people share, like no longer having to take meds, reversing or managing better medical conditions, and feeling more energy mentally and physically.

Let's hear from more people!!!

Dr. Peeke

TgrrValily replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
I'm losing weight because it's just time. I'm tired of being overweight- tired of the way my body feels.

I had biometric testing at work and the numbers were a little shocking.

I'm working on eating healthier right now, which seems to be going well- and I find I have more energy to be more active. I have a ways to go, but I'm just taking it one step at at time! I have found webmd to be a great resource- not only for basic nutrition/fitness advice, but also great recipes to try!

I can also honestly say since I've started eating right, I've had no stomach issues. It's a free-ing feeling!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to TgrrValily's response:
TgrrValily -

Glad to hear that your stomach is feeling better! Facing the reality of numbers isn't fun but can be a big health motivator.

Keep it up! Glad you are here and that WebMD is helping -

Haylen

kingskidsdeb responded:
I'm losing weight to essentially save my life. I am 53, weigh 336 pounds with BMI of 51.2. I have diabetes, sleep apnea, arthritis, neuropathy, high blood pressure, etc. I desperately want to feel better and I would love to be able to play on the floor with my grandsons and be able to hold them on my knee and snuggle them. I want to be able to go into a restaurant and not worry about whether I would fit into the seats. I want to be able to travel. I want to be able to fit behind the steering wheel of our van. I want to fit into theatre seats, bathroom stalls comfortably, airplane seats, seatbelts and the list goes on. I don't want to worry about breaking a chair or toilet seat. I want to be able to cross my legs like a lady should.
I just got turned down for a gastric bypass. I feel almost hopeless.

Kelly6676 responded:
hi haylen,

i'm losing weight because I'm 50 lbs heavier than i was 5 years ago when i got married, wow its amazing how time flies by....

but so far i've lost 3 lbs this week, just by drinking my water and walking on my lunch hour for 40 mins.....

i want to set a good example for my husband and also if we choose to have kids, i don't want to go into pregency heavy, i want to get this weight off and be healthy for a baby

blcallies replied to kingskidsdeb's response:
I can so relate with you - please don't give up EVER!!! The feelings of hopelessness are part of the fight. I am 54 weighing in at 285 pounds. I have been overweight my entire adult life, but for the first time in a very long time have lost 30 lbs. I have lots to go but it's a start - A GOOD start! I too want to travel and play with my grandson and I know that it's going to happen this time. I had to decide to do it alone because my friend that is overweight wanted to do a very limiting program and is losing at record speed but for me I can't stand the structure and limitations. Honestly I hate that she is doing so well and I am going so slow but for me this is better. I've tried the "miracle" loss's and always gained it back. I joined Weight Watchers this round and do not feel deprived - we know how to do this weight loss thing - probably could write our own books but some how we need a helping hand. You CAN DO this - but you have to decide that you want it. Hugs to you and may you face this task with a new mindset - one step at a time! Good luck! My thoughts are with you as we struggle together to become the people we want to be. It's our lives at stake here and I want to be around a while longer to play with my Grandson and to give him the love that only I can!

SuffReader responded:
I'm TRYIN to lose weight because I am 5'1 and have gained about 8-10 lbs in the past year, after holding my weight at 108 for about 8 years. Losing 10 lbs. is a lot easier than losing 28, 38 or 48, so I am trying to get a grip on this while it is still manageable.

airius responded:
I'm losing weight because I want to be around to see my kids have kids. I have a family history of high blood pressure. My mom has it, my dad passed because of it. I also want to set healthy examples for them.

P.S. I also want to look good at the beach. LOL!

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
270 of 335 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.