Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Should Paula Deen have shared about her diabetes earlier?
Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP posted:
Hi everyone. I'm curious about your thoughts on Paula Deen's decision not to share that she had type 2 diabetes two years ago. There's a heap of controversy in the media about this. Many folks felt it was dishonest for her not to share this while she's still cooking up the kind of food that contributes to diabetes. Others are troubled by the fact that despite the diagnosis it appears she's chosen to take the medication and not to change her weight or incorporate healthy lifestyle habits. Meanwhile, her son is doing all of that with his show about cooking healthy. Her new role as a spokesperson for a pharma for diabetes drugs throws another wrench in the mix. Other folks could care less and keep cooking' and eaten' her recipes.

What's your take on the Paula Deen scenario?

Dr. Peeke

jis4judy responded:
Hi Dr Peeke My take on Paula Dean is her body her choice /
she really dosn't owe anyone any info on her health .
She did appear on Dr Oz and disclosed her health issue there ..she is entertaining to many but anyone that would cook the things she does is makeing a health error..
too much butter!
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

Anon_130687 replied to jis4judy's response:
She's a public figure - I feel that keeping her diagnosis and medication from her adoring fans is slightly deceptive - especially since diabetes is often directly related to lifestyle choices.

It also seemed a bit slimy that she had a multi-million dollar deal lined up with big pharma before her announcement.

I hope she gets healthy and encourages her fans to eat better and GET SOME EXERCISE!

H

abnersmom responded:
Hi Dr. Peeke,

Like Judy, her health problems are her own business. She has NEVER pretended to be a "healthy" cook. I find her entertaining, but I can say that I have never cooked any of her recipes in the past and certainly wouldn't now. I can see why people might think that her cooking should have reflected her health concerns in the past couple of years, but just like people in the nutrition/food industry making money off of the myriad of health fads, she's in the food entertainment business....

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
270 of 335 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.