Skip to content

Announcements

new & 100 to lose
skellied posted:
Hi,
I just started on this sight today. I have tryed every diet out there and nothing has worked. But this one seemed to catch my eye. I have 100 ounds to lose. Need all the support
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome - I know you can do it skellied!

What is your current food plan and activity level? Let us know a little more about you so we can give you some tools and support to succeed this time!

There are several members here who have maintained a 100 pound loss. You can meet several of them here: WebMD Dieting Club: 50 - 100 pounds

Haylen

mommaxeli responded:
Hi there!

I just hit the 100 pounds lost mark last Friday! It is possible!

The best advice I can give is don't go on a "diet". That's probably why nothing has worked in the past. Many of those programs are more for the short term but they don't teach you the skills for the long-term. It took me months before I got over the "diet" mindset. Now, the healthy "diet" foods are my regular foods that I eat out of habit and enjoy. And I've actually come to love exercise. Who'da thunk it?!

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer. Otherwise, I agree with Haylen. Check out the 50-100 board. The ladies there are great and supportive. They've got a good thing going over there
Work at home mom of 4. SW: 260 CW: 161 GW:150.

norma_j responded:
Welcome skellied ... I also just found this site about 6 weeks ago .. the people here are very supportive. If you have questions ask .. or if you just want to talk .. We are all here on this journey together. We are not on diets .. those don't work .. we are on new way of life journey's. Some of us are further along in our journey's than others but they are the ones with answers. I listen and take into consideration what every single one of them have to say. They are my lifeline to continuing to a new healthier me.

Norma

abnersmom responded:
Welcome Skellied! Come join us on the 50-100 board. We have fun and learn a lot from one another. I joined last Sept. and can't tell you what a difference it has made in my journey.

spinn2win responded:
Hi, I just started today too. Glad I am not alone. I have 30 pounds to lose and I too thought this site was very appealing.
About a week ago I decided I want to get fit & help my heart out. What is your reasons for losing wt? Do you have a fitness plan? If your willing I am open to help you anyway you need if your willing to offer support too. My name is Beth & I am happy to meet you.
Good luck & I know we both can get control of our wt & health! YOU CAN DO IT

mefirstforever responded:
Hi skellied,

I found the 50 to 100 club last September, love the ladies, lots of good advise, non judgmental.
Come and join us!
There is ladies that have lost weight and maintaining for years and still are with us. I'm so grateful for all.

Hope to see you there soon.

skellied replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Haylen,
i'm on a 1800 cal a day. so far i haven't even been able to eat 1800 a day yet this is only going into my3rd day. so far i feel ok. i weigh in on sat. so we shall see?? please stay with me!! thanks for the support
kellie

skellied replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
thanks so much as long as i have the supoort i think i can do this. it really doesn;t seem as a deit plan this is what i like. i weigh in on sat. so i will keep you posted thanks for your support
kellie

An_244059 responded:
Make your diet alkaline Meaning eat only alkaline foods check list of alkaline foods. start with juice of veg rich in green content celery, swiss chard ,parsley Bach choy, Chinese cabage .using juice extractor . for breakfast eat well cooked steel cut oats. with some Greek yogurt. you may sweeten with coconut sugar which is very low glycimic index make soup with all veg in store bought broth ,cook them well no potato, use veg like leeks, fennel bulb beens celery again you can have as much as you want, Eat eggs limited to one yellow, Make salads with all kinds of lettuce tomato red bell pepper yellow bell peppers sprinkle pumpkin seeds, sun flower seeds and dressing made from greek yogurt and sea salt . you can put all types of beans, gabenzo, red kidney, black beans,Eat till you are full. Dinner you get the picture follow this for week. you will lose 10 lbs walk 15 minutes at a time every 2 hour,

msmary1213 responded:
Hi,

I am right with you. I have been trying to lose weight for the last 20 years, and I would drop weight and gain it back because of the fear of what I would look like thinner. My husband has also put into my head that I will never lose weight, but I'm trying to get over that. I am here to support you, because I need the support also. I am a little over 300 lbs, but when I tell people, they tell me that I don't look that big. You can do it. I'm trying also!!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to skellied's response:
How are you doing kellie? The first week is always tough but I do think our bodies adjust and start to look forward to healthy foods. Did you check out the Diet Club Community too?

H

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to skellied's response:
It's Saturday! How was the weigh in!?!??!

queenladi responded:
I'm with you; I have 120lbs to lose. In the last month, I lost 15lbs and was able to eat junk. I can only imagine the weight that I could have lost had I eliminated the chips, movie popcorn, and fast food. This month, I plan to cut all the junk, at least for this month and limit myself to 1000( /-100) cals a day.

During the last month, I worked out 5 days a week. I took weight training on two nonconsecutive days, low impact cardio classes, swimming and walking. I stopped eating fast food & junk food everyday. I limited my cal intake to 1300. My diet consisted of brown rice, boiled eggs, green salad, fruit & veggies, and shrimp. I ate junk food on one or two days during the week.For example, if I went to the movies I would have a large popcorn w/ butter or large nacho & jalapeno plus a large cherry coke. Last month, I didn't cut out junk food... I restricted it. That's how I lost 15lbs. If I continued I would probably reach my goal weight this time next year.

SKellied:

If you want to lose weight you have to change your diet. There is no way around it. Working out helps with weight loss and maintenance. However, if you don't eat right, YOU are wasting your time. Especially, if you are trying to lose weight. It is possible to lose weight with a healthy diet and no exercise, but you'll have extra skin. I suggest doing multiple workouts including swimming, weight training, pilates, yoga, low & high cardio, and any other activity that you enjoy 3-5 days a week. It's a good idea to mix up your routine because once your body becomes accustom to the same workout, you will burn fewer cals. Start slowly and work you way up. 15min one week, 30 mins the next and so on.

I speak from experience. I'm not a nutritionist or a doctor. I'm a "healthy obese" woman. Quite the oxymoron, nonetheless, a real thing in society. I, like many other woman, are extremely overweight. I have yet to experience any health problems related to my weight. I eat veggies and fruits daily, walk at least 3 times a week, and drink a nice amount of water. These are the only things that I can contribute to not experiencing any issues. However, my genes play an important role.

We are overweight because we consume more calories than we burn. While I ate healthy foods, I consumed fast food & junk food daily. There was no way an hour of walking, which burns about 300cal was going to burn off 2 fast food meals, a soda, cookies( 2600 cals) & other food I ate( whole grains, fruits & veggies).

I am guilty of going to McDonald's to buy a big mac combo meal and cookies. Then feel embarrassed about it. I'd end up buy two combo meals hoping to hide the fact that I wanted such a large meal. In my mind, I was hoping....whomever thought I was purchasing food for myself and another person. I assumed this would shield my embarrassment. However, I would eat both meals. So, I was enabling myself.

If you want to lose the weight, limit your cal intake and cut out fast foods and calorie-rich foods. There is no silver bullet for weight lost. It happens over time and only if you are serious about changing your lifestyle. You can find weight calculators online to help you determine your daily cal intake to lose weight at a healthy pace. You should also discuss any changes with your doctor. Especially, if you have health issues or are taking meds.

bmurfield responded:
Hi Kellie and welcome,
I, too have a lot of weight to lose - about 130 to get to the ideal weight for my height & age. What I have found seems to be working for me...slowly...but working. I have set small goals. I don't look at this weight loss as 130 lbs to lose, I just take it 5 lbs at a time. I've lost about 45 lbs so far doing this and I have kept it off. Eating smaller portions without denying myself any of my favorite foods works for me. I don't eat seconds no matter how much I love the food. I also watch how many carbs I eat as these have the most calories. As an example, I don't have the large scoop of mashed potatoes with loads of gravy, but instead have a small (tblsp or 2) of potatoes with just enough gravy for flavor. This way I get the taste but don't feel like I've denied myself anything. Don't keep junk food in the house because it's too much of a temptation when you get the munchies. Instead keep nuts, cheese sticks, raw veggies, etc. (whatever healthy stuff you like) and when you get the urge to eat your only choice will be healthy food. If you are soda drinker, cut them out, or reduce the amount you drink. They contain tons of calories. A coworker told me she cut out soft drinks & has lost 20 lbs!

One last bit of advice from my experience...take baby steps. You are making a lifestyle change that you want to last the rest of your life so expecting to completely change your exercise and eating habits overnight probably won't last. Change 1 or 2 small things at a time until they become part of your normal routine & then add a couple more. The pounds may come off slower, but this way they will stay off.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
203 of 248 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.