Skip to content

Announcements

pituitary atrophy
mad_mike posted:
the report from a recent MRI for neck pain included a side note about my pituitary gland. it appears atrophied, but in the reporter's opinion there's enough tissue to carry on.

being a worrier, i began reading about this on the internet and i wanted to confer with some folks here concerning it.

it seems like about a dozen years or so, my metabolism came to a grounding halt. i gained 80 lbs and haven't been able to lose it. i blamed it on medication, and last year found if i stopped taking an NSAID, i lost... and i have, 83 lbs!!! i've been counting calories and walking a lot too... so its not just the lack of meds... strange thing though, i was doing the same things before i stopped taking the medication and i couldn't lose.

because of a herniated disk in my neck, i'm once again taking NSAIDS and other pain killers... i'm gaining weight like crazy and retaining fluids... i try to do without the meds, but the pain overwhelms me and i cave.

is it possible there's a connection with the way i'm reacting to the medication and the pituitary?

i live in this body 24/7, and i see the link between weight gain and the nsaids... i'd like to know why?

mad_mike responded:
should have said in the 2nd paragraph, that it wasn't just stopping the medication that made me lose weight. the medication was preventing the loss, even though i was restricting my calories.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Congratulations on your weight loss. WebMD can't advise or diagnose over the internet but you can read reader reviews of drugs and medications here:

WebMD Drugs, Medication & User Reviews

You might find some that have had similar experiences. As always, please check with your doctor before stopping or starting any medication.

Haylen

Helpful Tips

Metric for weight loss for busy people
When things get extremly busy and weight loss must occur try writting everything down. I started that a long time ago and got away from it. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.