Skip to content

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Getting exercise at work
Barbels54 posted:
I'd love to hear some input on what others do at work to get their metabolism up. I work 10 hrs a day - 5 days a week, so I spend a lot of time in front of my computer. I workout 4 days a week, about 1-1/2 hrs per session, but I'm afraid the inactivity will negate all my hard work. I also quit smoking so I'm concerned that my metabolism has dropped in spite of my workouts. I try to do as many sideways legs kicks as I can (when nobody's around), or jog in place if possible. Please share!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
I hear you Barbels...I sit for 8 hours at the keyboard.

One of my "new" tricks is to park as far away from my destination as possible. I pick up my kid after school and show up 15 minutes early and park several blocks away. At the store, I choose the parking spot that is waaaay far away from entrance.

When I worked in an office, the stairs were great for a quick pulse raiser. I always kept some tennis shoes at my desk if I had an opportunity to get away and circle the building.

CONGRATS on quitting smoking - that is huge! You should be very, very proud of yourself!

Haylen

Barbels54 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I work for a small construction company, so I don't have any options as far as parking, also on 4 stairs coming into the front door. Luckily I have my own office though, so I can always close my blinds if necessary Thanks for the Congrats Haylen! Just knowing that people thinks it's a big deal makes it that much more rewarding

Barbara

Lynnut responded:
You say you work 10 hours a day. Do you take a lunch break? I started walking during lunch. I think federal guidelines say if you work at least 4 hours you get a 30 minute lunch break. If you work 8 hours or more, you get the lunch break, a 15 minute break in the morning, and a 15 minutes in the afternoon. Some companies allow you to add all the time together and take a one hour lunch break.

Barbels54 replied to Lynnut's response:
Yes, I do take a lunch. But it's usually eaten at my desk while working. I've been here 11 years, and pretty much set my own rules, and being that I'm the office manager/controller I kinda need to be available for emergencies. But, you may be right, A walk is a great idea! I just might start today. The only problem, is that I live in Arizona, and in a couple of months it will be waaaayyyy too hot to walk outside for more than 30 seconds )

bobby75703 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Haylen, I have to run up and down stairs on my job.

Serving food and beverage in a hotel, I'm on my feet like a waiter. But my back-up supplies are upstairs which keeps me running Up Down Up Down Up Down for about 5 hours straight.

This is OK for a college kid, but I'm about to turn 55. I have climbed those stairs well over 20,000 times in 7 years.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Barbels54's response:
I live in the valley in Southern California and it gets over 100 here. My friends and I used to meet at the local mall and stride around in a big gang!

Do you have an air conditioned mall near you that you could hit up? (But avoid the sounds and smells of the food court!)

Haylen

Barbels54 replied to bobby75703's response:
I can relate to getting older. I'll be 58 this year, and I've noticed that my knees don't work quite like they used to! Your knees must get quite a workout too

Barbels54 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
We've got more malls in Phoenix than we really need. But, yeah I have done the mall walking thing. I'm thinking of putting a treadmill in my office, regardless of what the boss says. He doesn't understand the women & aging thing at all. He thinks we would all be satisfied to look like his 300 lb wife.

sweetypie295 replied to Barbels54's response:
Oh the diss.
I have been enjoying reading this discussion.

I to need to get out from behind the computer during work. It's just so easy to sit here.

Barbels, It sounds like you are doing great compared to many people 4days a week 1-1 1/2hrs. I admire you I get 1hr 1 day a week.
I also park far away from my work place I park far away from the grocory store. Not intent to exercise but not to get my car dinged. Just an extra benefit is the exercise.
I have walked the 4 flights of stairs rather then the elevatore at work. When I worked at a smaller company my coworker would walk the stairs at work everyother step. Your 4stairs could become 2....
I also congradulate you on quiting smoking thats awesome!
If I come up with any ideas I will post them.

sweetypie295 replied to sweetypie295's response:
Found some
I forgot the exersize ball at work rather then a chair. You will still want your regular chair so dont get rid of it right away.
  • Set an alarm to go off every hour to remind you to stand up and move around. Even if you just swing your arms or take a deep breath, you'll feel more alert.
  • Use the restroom on another floor and take the stairs
  • Use a pedometer and keep track of how many steps you take. Aim for 6,000 to 10,000 steps a day.
  • Leave something important in your car (your lunch, your briefcase, etc.) so you have to run out to get it (and take the stairs)
  • Give you extra breaks during the day to take quick walks
  • Deliver documents or messages to co-workers in person rather than by email
  • Go to the mall for lunch and park on the opposite end of the food court. Don't forget to buy something healthy.
  • Get a headset for your phone so you can move around while you talk.
  • http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blofficeworkout.htm
  • http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/exercise-at-your-desk
  • http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/office-exercise/SM00115
    http://voices.yahoo.com/how-exercise-work-6-exercises-keep-fit-203661.html

enos38 replied to Barbels54's response:
    Walk on your lunch! I started doing it last fall one to two days a week and I love it as a great way to fit in some exercise. With the summer heat coming, I now have to bring a change of clothes and put on some deoderant and wash my face after but you feel so much better for the afternoon hours and it is so worth it. I am 40 years old, have 2 very young kids and a husband who works a night job so I had to start getting creative about how to fit exercise in.
    Or bring someting to your office, who cares what people think. I put my stationary bike in the foyer of our house. It doesn't look good but I can ride it when my kids are watching their tv show at night so that is also working out well for me.

catmoore57 responded:
    I walk for 30 minutes each day during my lunch break.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
    Hi and thanks so much for your posting. I know lots of folks out there are identifying with your sitting challenge. I want you and everyone out there to google "sitting disease". This is a real condition made famous by Mayo Clinic's Dr. James Levine. Our bodies were never meant to sit for such prolonged periods of time. Yet most of us are stuck doing just that. When we do, our metabolism's do indeed cool down. In addition our ability to control blood sugar and cholesterol becomes dysfunctional.

The solution is to do two things: fidget a lot while you're sitting and cannot get up--- move your legs and feet, hands and arms. You can sit on an AB ball and keep torquing your body around as you work. Some people have walking desks with a treadmill attached so that you can walk 2MPH all day long. You can buy a foot board for under your desk to flex your feet and lower legs. Grab elastic tubing and stretch here and there. When you're talking on the phone use a head set and walk while you're talking.
    Next, schedule times to get up and move around deliberately. I make a rule of never sitting more than 30-45 mins, getting up and walking around somewhere, stretching and even running in place. There are small steppers you can buy--- step and push down like an elliptical. They're fun and terrific to use. Finally, crank up some music and simply take a dance break. There's nothing healthier and more fun.
    Finally, there are all kinds of great chair exercises. Go online and you'll see them, in addition to our WebMD fitness archives. As well, even Zumba has Sentao, fun chair work standing and sitting, to hot wild music.
    In summary, you need to be taking an ADULT RECESS as often as you can.
    Good luck!
    Dr. Peeke

Barbels54 replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
    Fortunately, I have my own office, and my boss is frequently out, so I do have options. I occasionally run in place. One day I actually did a few laps in my sheet metal shop, because everyone was gone. I bought a pedometer, that measures steps, calories burned, fat grams burned, etc, etc. This way I at least have a better idea of what my body is doing.

Helpful Tips

special k
    have been trying the "eat a bowl of special k cereal a day" thing and i hope i see an improvement in my weight. More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.