Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

First steps in weight loss plan
Bigbluefrog posted:
So I am struggling in losing weight, and I walk daily for exercise.

Eat fairly healthy

Drink coffee and diet Pepsi.

Keep gaining weight another ten pounds.

Things that I think may be causing weight gain, Hypothyroidism, stress, less sleep, depression, high sodium diet,

It's a redundant circle, when the thyroid is functioning - energy returns, and mood improves.

What are your thoughts on diet cola?

Bigbluefrog responded:
Btw, if your cold, tired, and think your thyroid is sluggish a simple blood test will determine if your thyroid hormone is good. Mine is being tested again. I feel better when I take thyroid meds.

auntie81 responded:
Wish I could blame my thyroid but I just had all my blood tests. It is a mystery to me and my docs why I keep gaining.

jis4judy responded:
the problem with diet soda is they fool you into thinking you can eat more of other things .
when you say fairly healthy what does that mean ? you choose healthy 90 % (this is the way to go ) of the time or only 50%
it does make a difference.
You do need sleep and you have to learn to handle the stress better stop proccessed foods that can take care of the excess sodium . exercise is a great depression relief and helps you sleep .
Hugs Judy
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

brunosbud responded:
Think in terms of BALANCE...

When your body is gaining (or losing) weight, you are doing & eating things that are creating imbalance.

All of these readers, thousands upon thousands of posters, discussing the same thing about weight loss: Calories

You're not losing weight?

Oh, that's easy...you're eating too many "calories".

This is why you drink diet pepsi. No calories. Same goes for Smart Ones, Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice (high sodium, high carbohydrate, low fiber). Michelob Ultra flies off the shelves because its low cal. Skinny Cow ice cream and Frozen Yogurt is a monster hit. Pop Chips and Kettle Brand Baked Potato Chips...low calorie and so delicious.

The mentality with everyone , here, is its perfectly fine to eat or drink these because its low calories.

These foods are not health promoting foods. They do not promote BALANCE. They promote "imbalance" because they are devoid of valuable nutrition and fiber that only real food can provide.

They were developed directly to satisfy the public's demand for low calorie. We demanded it and we got exactly what we wanted: Better tasting, low calorie, low fat food.

Its been 15-20 years since many of these foods first hit the market...

Tell me? Has anybody successfully lost weight drinking or eating any of it? If so, show me the evidence. Give me proof that "low cal" works.

Bottomline: What's it done for you? How long have you been eating low fat, low calorie and what do you have to show?

I believe all these foods have a place in ones weigh loss journey. At the very end...once you've reached your goal and you're in maintenance. It aint at the beginning.

"...Hey, I know I need to eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains to lose weight. I know all this "Low Calorie", "Low Fat" stuff doesn't work. But, I don't like the taste of veggies and fruit gives me the runs and I don't have time to cook. So, I'm up a creek without a paddle..."

A post like this would signal to me that people are finally waking up. That all this marketing dooty is designed simply to take your money and leave you in the same (or worse) condition so you will continue to be deluded into thinking its "safe" to buy more.

Its all about calories, right?

If its that simple, what is everybody doing wrong? Are we all a bunch of liars and cheaters?

Isn't anyone the least bit suspicious?????

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Afternoon Sleepiness? Eat Protein, not Sugar, to Stay Awake & Shed LBS!Expert
Hi everyone. Want a royal win win? Next time you start feeling like nodding off in the afternoon grab some healthy protein (Greek yogurt, ... More
Was this Helpful?
47 of 48 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.