Skip to content

Announcements

Gaining when should be losing
auntie81 posted:
I have been gaining weight (like a lb a month) the past 7 months. I just turned 30 in August and knew that would do something but man, not like it has been! I work out 6 days a week, change it up also and eat super healthy most of the time. Growing up in high school I weighed 200 lbs, then when I was about 23-24 I got down to 110 which was too thin I know now. I ate around 900 cals a day for several years and how could years later when nothing changed, the scale keep going up and my pants size:( It's so depressing and I have been to an endocronoligist and my dr and a dietician and have had trainers. All I've heard is to eat more cuz my body was in starvation mode. So, I've done that and I'm still NOT losing!! HELP!!! I'm ready to give up eating.

jis4judy responded:
Hi Auntie what does a days food look like? maybe there is something you regularly eat that is causing the problem ..
Hugs Judy:)
Sw 247 Cw 149ish

remember the gold isn;t in the prize it is in the journey!
life may not be the party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Don't give up eating

Are you tracking your calories and activity? Give the WebMD Food & Fitness tracker a try to track your daily intake:

WebMD Food & Fintess Planner

Did your dietician have food suggestions?

Haylen

kim601 responded:
I am 47 years old and have lost 90lbs in the past year and a half. I went through a phase where I was working out and eating but still gained weight. I went back and started writing every morsel that passed over my lips. When I worked out I worked out very hard for an hour solid. I mean I was dripping with sweat. I increase my calories from 1250 to 1500. After 3 weeks even though I gained 2lbs I dropped 7lbs. I continued with 1500 for another 3-4 weeks and didn't loose or gain. I decided to drop calories back down to 1250 and I started loosing again. Now I vary my calories between 1250 - 1500. Usually 1500 is only about 2-3 days a week. I still work out hard and vary my routine. Intervals burns more calories but don't do them everyday. If your not sore some you may not be pushing yourself enough. Hope this helps. Good luck.

DmKluk replied to kim601's response:
aantie81 keep going don't give up try different things I am doing the same. I have been going to the gym 5 days 1-1 1/2 hhrs each time dripping sweat cuircut training, now that the warmer weather is here I will also be doing alot of outdoor activities as well as the gym. I lost 35 lbs 15 inches last year & Dec 2011 was the last I lost any weight totally frustrating I to was told to eat or my body goes into starvation mode but once I do I find I gain so I am doing on my own what 'kim601' is doing alternate days of low calorie switch to high calorie on major workout days just started. We will find something that works.

PersonaBuena responded:
Been through this. I used to do the martial arts 7 days a week. Things I do that work for me:
1) weight training along with cardio and flexibility training. One day weights, one day off, one day weights, one day anaerobic with light weights and abs, one day cardio with flexiblity, one day off. Per week: 5 intense workouts, 2 days off (but not off 2 days in a row).
You need muscle to burn fat and to increase metabolism rate. With muscle you burn calories even when not working out.
2) I eat vegetarian (and take vitamin B12). Need to eat minimum of 1,200 calories per day (otherwise you slow down your metabolism)
3) Breakfast, then protein snack, then lunch, then protein snack, then dinner. After dinner nothing. Dinner should be 3 hours prior to bedtime. You need to eat every 2.5 - 3 hours.
4) Get enough sleep, reduce stress.
5) Don't obsess over the number on the scale. I care more about measurements (waist, thighs, etc..)

An_244343 responded:
I got stuck for a long time. It was artificial sweetners that did it. My trainer was sooo puzzeled as to why I wasn't loosing weight.
Apparently, splenda, neutrasweet, aspertain - pretty much all of them except stevia - have a GI close to sugar. So, it makes your body release insulin. I'm not a medical expert, but insulin puts your body into a mode of storing fat/calories/making muscle, etc. It does not allow your body to tap into the fat storage. So, if you have artificial sweetners - say a zero calorie drink that is sweetened, your body won't be burning fat no matter how little you eat, for a period of time after the drink. I wish I could refer you to more info on this, but I had to learn it from a doctor.
Another thing to maybe look at is how you space out your food. Are you eating a large amount at one serving and then waiting a long time before eating? Just a thought.

onewaterdance responded:
You should go see your doctor. You probably need a blood ddraw to check your thyroid. Look up symptoms of Hypothyroid oon WebMD, they might explain what you are experiencing.
If it is not that, then your doctor will know what else to test for. I doubt it is normal to gain weight while eating so little and must be a sign of something going wrong in the body.
Good luck!

erico956 replied to PersonaBuena's response:
You don't necessarily have to take vitamin B12 for your metabolism. Eggs, fish, and good cereal like Post Selects, have all the B12 you need. I would definitely incorporate a little job or a run in your routine...small runs go a long way.

www.gymtrainingforums.com

erico956 replied to erico956's response:
"job" = "jog"

Jenni_69 responded:
Hi, I have been trying to loose weight for 15 years, i have done everything. taken pills tried various diets, but lost nothing and in some cases i put on weight.. now i have found the answer.
after doing my own reaserch on my body, playing with certain food types, i have eventually started loosing my weight.

you must eat lots of protein and ONLY 60 grams of carbs a day, its not the calories that you need to watch out for its the Card's.. Give this a try for one month and you will find you loose weigh effectively. i have lost 6kg's in my first month and i am proud of it..

Good luck

DStef responded:
I learned if I record every bite that goes into my mouth I see where there are hidden calories or eating too many calories. I use apps like Loseit.com And you may want to make sure you aren't having too many foods with artificial sweeteners or too much salt, which will cause you to retain a lot of water. Speaking of water drink a lot of water every day! Good luck!

BigDaddyMatty replied to Jenni_69's response:
It most certainly is the calories...

That's not to say one should eat in an unhealthy manner so long as they keep their caloric intake low.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
203 of 248 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.