Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Nutrition Confusion
emmyml posted:

I have been a healthy eater for years. I concentrate on lean protein, fresh fruits, vegetables, low fat dairy products and whole grain products. I count calories every day and stay below 1400 calories per day. I do this to maintain my current weight and my blood sugar. My BMI is 24 so I am not obese. However I have a lot of fat around my middle.

Now I am reading on a web site that wheat products cause fat and weight gain and we should eat things like barley, buckwheat, millet, brown rice, oatmeal, quinoa, spelt, etc. I eat very little bread and when I do it's whole wheat. Since I never eat processed foods, is it really necessary to give up wheat products and switch to these other foods? It's very confusing. I would love to have an answer on this. I have tries spelt bread and Sprout Grain breads and since I don't eat much bread, I would like to stick to a healthy whole wheat bread.

Thank you.

maryamanc@aol.com

bobby75703 responded:
Most wheat products are highly processed. Even the whole grain breads and whole grain cereals. They are still highly refined carbohydrates.

My sister lost a great deal of weight and although she is 60 years old, she now has her lean teenage body again. She eliminated all bread and sugars.

Here is the kicker. Her goal was to get rid of Candida in her mouth by eliminating consumption of yeast and sugars. The weight loss was an unplanned side effect. But a pleasant side effect.

Kiss all refined carbohydrates and sugar good-bye, and make sure thyroid numbers are where they need to be.

bobby75703 replied to bobby75703's response:
For years the US gov't preached a low fat, high refined grain diet to the American people. Remember the old food pyramid?

The result? America got fatter.

Many "heart healthy" whole grain breads and cereals were just glorified junk food. Despite the "whole grain goodness" printed on the bread packaging, the product was made with a lot of refined junk ingredients, many containing high fructose corn sweeteners.

Nutritional science has come a long way. So has consumer education. Its getting harder for food companies to fool consumers.

emmyml replied to bobby75703's response:
Thank you for your response. I have been a health nut for years and believe me I don't eat high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated fats. If I eat bread, it's only 1/2 slice of bread with nothing on it and only about once a week. The one I chose is whole wheat and it has none of the junk products added. As far as cereal is concerned, most of them have things in them that I also won't eat. I usually have oat bran. As far as cold cereal is concerned, shredded wheat is the only cereal that I use and it has no sugar or salt in it and it has no other additives. It's whole grain and fiber. That's why I don't want to give up the whole wheat products.

As far as processed foods, I don't eat any of them. I lost 40 pounds years ago and I have kept it off for 30 years. That's the only reason I'm concerned about what I read about wheat products. Is it just a myth?

Thank you very much for your response.

bobby75703 replied to emmyml's response:
Congrats on the weight loss and keeping it off!

Concerning your question on wheat: Its not a myth that wheat can cause problems for certain individuals.

Wheat is in the top 8 of food allergens, which is why you see printed on boxes "ALLERGY INFORMATION: Contains wheat"

Even if wheat is not listed on the ingredients, the box may say something like "May contain wheat" or "Manufactured in a facility that also makes wheat products"

This is the manufacturer covering themselves in the event of unintended cross contamination from wheat products harming a super sensitive individual.

The protein gluten in wheat can damage the intestines ability to absorb nutrients. This is more rare and is called celiac disease.

Others may simply not be able to tolerate wheat such as myself. A bowl of shredded wheat cereal will leave me with heart palpitations and fatigue. If I repeatedly consume wheat I feel like I've been drugged with a sedative.

Dr. William Davis, a cardiologist, is very much against wheat and advises his patients to stop eating it. He has also written a book called "Wheat Belly". I haven't read it but its got a catchy title. You might be interested in what he has to say.

Recently, Grains overall have taken a hard hit in nutritional circles. While some experts swear by them, others condemn them.

Bobby

Anon_233625 responded:
First a disclaimer - I may be biased in my (selective) reading of research because I love bread, and I am from Holland where bread is a staple food and considered very healthy so it would take a lot of convincing for me to see bread as something unhealthy.

That said, to my knowledge, there is no research showing wheat products cause weight gain in a way other grains don't. Of course if you eat white bread and pastries it's easy to overeat - but it's the excess calories and not wheat itself that cause weight gain.

In fact, bread has a lot of important vitamins and minerals as well as fiber. I'm talking about whole wheat bread bought at (proper) bakeries or home made. Once you enter the mass produced and refined/processed foods sector all bets are off as far as I'm concerned...

One main thing that stands out to me when it comes to healthy eating in general is that you have to find out what works for you. If you find wheat (perhaps the gluten in it) causes stomach aches or other symptoms, you may be better off without. But I for example tend to get stomach aches when I eat LESS grains, maybe because of reduced fiber.

Beyond all that, health is very important to me, but my definition of health includes mental health. Though I do try to watch my sugar intake, I'd feel very deprived if I were to cut ALL sugar and wheat from my diet, so even if there were significant health benefits to it -which I doubt - I wouldn't do it. Plus the stress that this deprivation causes probably cancels out any health benefits on a bodily level anyway. But if you are fine without it, then no problem.

bobby75703 replied to Anon_233625's response:
"In fact, bread has a lot of important vitamins and minerals as well as fiber. I'm talking about whole wheat bread bought at (proper) bakeries or home made. Once you enter the mass produced and refined/processed foods sector all bets are off as far as I'm concerned..."

Where I live few people make their own bread, and there are very few places to buy bread that aren't mass produced commercial concoctions.

Most of the commercially produced breads here amount to nothing more than a low sugar cake. ( Even if it says whole grain.)

As for eating pure wheat products, I suppose it depends on who you are and if you have any allergy issues with it.

As I walk the grocery store isles here in Texas and read labels, "Enriched flour" is perhaps the most common ingredient in processed foods. Fresh foods aside, enriched flour tends to dominate the store.

"High fructose corn syrup" is perhaps the second most common ingredient.

For years both enriched floor and high fructose corn syrup have been the first two ingredients listed on commercial breads, cookies, crackers, muffins, cakes, etc.

Mom always said "you are what you eat." If this is true then Americans are "Enriched flour, high fructose corn syrup..."

emmyml replied to Anon_233625's response:
Thank you for your response. I agree that it's not wheat itself that makes you gain weight. I don't gain weight because I watch everything that I eat. As far as bread is concerned, I only eat it about once a week and only about a half a slice. I don't even touch any other processed foods with enriched flour or corn syrup in it.

I hardly eat cereal and when I do, it's either oat bran or plain shredded wheat. Plain shredded wheat is the only cold cereal that I have found that has no sugar, no salt or other additives in it. Also, it has more fiber in it that most cereals. I find that cereals that are advertised as having high fiber contain lots of sugar and I don't feel that they are healthy. I eat very little sugar because I have low blood sugar. That's how I started eating healthy years ago. When I mention belly fat, everyone seems to think that I fill up on processed foods. Believe me, there's none of that in my house. Even if I feel like having a cracker, it's the most boring thing that most people would not want. It's strickly whole rye grain.

I only eat a piece of cake on Christmas Day or on someone's birthday. That's about all the sugar I ever eat. I never buy cookies or candy, except for an occasional sugar free candy.

I lost 40 pounds about 30 years ago and have kept it off. That's why I also count calories every day to keep from gaining weight. That's why I don't gain weight. I'm just annoyed because I can't get rid of the belly fat. Even going to the gym doesn't help.

I guess I have to live with it. But thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
Mary

JKhealth replied to emmyml's response:
For those looking for a healthy hot breakfast, I've been eating a half cup (2 servings) of "Quaker Steel-Cut Oats" for two months with 1 cup skim milk, 1 cup frozen blueberries and 2 tbls wheat germ, and I've lost 20 pounds during that two months. That's all that's in the cereal, 100 percent steel-cut oats, zero sodium, 4 grams dietary fiber.

Of course, I've limited my overall calorie intake to under 1200 during that time and I'm exercising. So I'm sure that has a lot to do with the weight loss. I prefer a big breakfast (520 cal), a light lunch (437 cal), and very little for dinner (180 cal, usually fruit). No snacks in between those three meals. By choice, I have bread about once a week.

Everyone is different, but that works for me.

Featuring Experts

Known as the "doc who walks the talk", Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP, is an internationally renowned expert and speaker in women's health,...More

Helpful Tips

Just discovered an amazing weight loss aid for someone with a sweet tooth
The biggest struggle I am facing while trying to lose a couple of pounds, is craving to sweets. I recently discovered a wonderful product, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.