Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

a question
cane1 posted:
hi there and how are you? I have been put on Simvastatin to lower my Cholesterol again and once more I am gaining a lot of weight. Could someone Please tell what I could do to lower my Cholesterol and not gain weight?
thank you and have a blessed day
cane1

bobby75703 responded:
You are certainly not the first person to complain of weight gain while taking a statin.

One of the suspected reasons some people gain weight on statins is interference with selenoproteins. Following is a link to Pubmed exploring why statins may interfere with thyroid function.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15542379

One way to lower blood lipids, and combat weight is calorie reduction, and increased physical activity. However I must caution you there is one side effect. You might feel great!

cane1 replied to bobby75703's response:
Dear bobby75703,
hi there and hope that you are well?
Thank You so very much for responding and telling me something to think about.
have a blessedday
cane1

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to cane1's response:
Hi cane1!

Here is a link to the WebMD Heath Center. You'll find many suggestions there that might help you as you work to lower your cholesterol:

Cholesterol Management Center

I agree with Bobby on the side effect of feeling great!

Haylen

cane1 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi there Haylen-WebMD,
thank you for responding, I have looked into that site and between bobby75703 and your suggestions I will be okay, thanks.
have a blessed day
cane1

Helpful Tips

sugar subs
I consaltated my allergy cookbook for this one.Alternative sweeteners include :honey,maple syrup,date sugar,fruit ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.