Skip to content

Announcements

Gasteric Sleeve Bypass
shelbyray69 posted:
This summer I will be having a gasteric sleeve procedure. I am 21, 313 lbs and am 5 foot 6. I was first pursuing the lapband procedure but about a month ago I had blood work done that told me I have VERY high cholesterol, the beginning of thyroid disease, and a syndrome called "polysystic ovarian syndrome", which slows my metabolism and messes with my bodies ability to absorb nutrients from what I eat. After discovering all these things going on with me, my doctor has recommended I change my procedure to the sleeve gasterectomy (sp?). It is where they remove the bottom portion of my stomach, where my hunger recepters are, and then stable the stomach so its a whole piece again, making my stomach more of a sleeve than a pouch. This is a permenent procedure where as the lapband was reversible. The doctor thinks because of my age, and my body type, and the syndrome I have, that this more agressive surgery would help me KEEP losing weight, and KEEP the weight off. With the lapband, he feels like I would lose 50-75 lbs then start to gain again. I understand the risks and have decided to go with the sleeve. My concern is, the diet after. My family is a long line of german cooks. My mom cooks for a living, she loves with food, she gives food as gifts, we are food. Am I going to feel left out at Christmas because I can only eat a bun and some mashed potatoes. I'm not talking about the liquid diet immedietly after surgery, I mean after recovery, with my new smaller stomach.
I guess I'd like to hear from other people who know someone or have had the surgery themselves, and can tell me what life is like after. I'm not worried that it won't work, because for the last 4 months I have been meeting with a dietician to start eating healthier and exercising and I have lost 15 lbs and feel confident that I can remain healthy and active, but will I be happy? Will I miss food? Thanks for any input. I have a wedding June of next year and I'm determined to be beautiful in my dress, and skinnier as well.

brunosbud responded:
If you ask anyone, here, who has successfully lost all the weight and kept it off, long term, they will tell you this...

The "AHA moment" is the realization that to be healthy, active and free of fear of other's judgments (especially your own) is to be happy.

Contrary to what you may think, this journey you are on is not about "losing weight". Its about setting your mind and spirit free by learning to treat your body with the respect and care it deserves. That is not a two way street. It goes only one way.
It you never learn, the weight returns.

That "bun and mashed potatoes", regardless of quantity, is not the direction you want to start. That food is not "respectful", imo. Once your work is done and you understand the proper care and feeding of your body, then, fine, go for it. Food like that is not something that "beginners" can mess around with.
Food like that is what brought most of us, here, in the first place...

With that said, eat whatever you like. It is not illegal. I hope you find happiness, regardless of outcome.

laura2gemini2 responded:
Why would you feel left out if you ate less than everyone else?

I had a sleeve gastrectomy, and also now have a very good therapist. My life used to be about what I ate, how much I ate, etc. What the therapist helps me with is realizing that life isnt about food. I can go to a family gathering and eat my little portion of protein and some veggies, and still be part of the family. If someone says something, I tell them that what I eat is my business and if they have an issue with it they can take it elsewhere.

I dont miss food because if I really am craving something I have a taste. Just a taste. Then I'm not craving it anymore.

I am 1 1/2 years out of surgery and I am still losing about a pound a week, but its still hard work. You have to be sure that you can do this FOREVER.

shelbyray69 replied to brunosbud's response:
The bun and mashed potatoes wasn't about WHAT I will be eating, it's about how much. I mean when I'm sitting at the dinner table at christmas and I eat for 5 minutes (of whatever I choose, which will most likely be different then what they are eating) and then am full, do I leave the table? To me that seems rude, but to just sit there while everyone else eats is just as hard for me because it draws attention to myself. And that I don't want. I don't want every meal to be about "oh look Shelby is full because half of her stomach is missing". I just want to be able to do the food related things with my family, like bbq's, potlucks, sunday family dinners, and be able to eat my healthy food, but not look or feel like the outcast.
And actually some mashed potatoes and a bun isn't going to throw my whole diet off. I'm carb conscious but I'm also an "eat in moderation" kind of person. I am telling MYSELF that it is OK to eat a bun, at Easter.. which occurs once a year.
-You tell yourself when it's time to give up, no one else can decide that for you.-

shelbyray69 replied to laura2gemini2's response:
THANK YOU! I needed someone to tell me that, just a taste, IS ok. I attend a culinary school and plan on being a chef someday so food IS my life, not in the eating sense of the word. But everything I do revolves around food. I'm not attached to any certain food, or binge eat, or have a sweet tooth. I have just ate the wrong things my whole life. I'm not as worried about giving up food, because I like so much (veggies, fruits, organics, grains like quinwa) that it will be easy for me to replace my "crap" with something healthy. Which I have already done btw! I'm very proud of myself because my fiance still eats like a teenage, I'm not about to stop him, he's fit, healthy according to his last physical, I've expressed my feelings and he helps me diet and exercise and doesn't eat the bad food around me, but it's still in the house. And instead of grabbing a bag of cheetos, cause it's easy, i'll make some white rice and fresh veggies, or eat cottage cheese and mandarin oranges (my current fave). It was just nice to hear that yes at family gatherings 2 or 3 times a year, I can have a little piece of pie, as long as I bust my butt then next day and don't eat more than a taste. Thank you. And good luck on your recovery. I know it is a long process and that's why I wanted to start young.
-You tell yourself when it's time to give up, no one else can decide that for you.-

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to shelbyray69's response:
Shelby, I'm really proud of you for the steps you have taken so far! Tracking your calories with the WebMD Food & Fitness Planner might help you stay the course as well.

I know you'll be a beautiful and happy bride!

Haylen

shelbyray69 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you! It's been hard because i'm 21, I want to gorge and drink and be glutonous like my friends who are stick thin, but turns out my body was made differently! My best friend used to eat taco johns almost everday (we worked there) and she never gained but 5 lbs the whole 2 years we worked together, I ate there MAYBE once a week, and put on quite a bit of weight throughout that year. It was affected by other things too but still, it's frustrating when your metabolism is so slow and your body only absorbs the bad stuff in food, but I'm on medication for a metabolism disorder so hopely after this surgery it will speed things up!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to shelbyray69's response:
Well, it sounds like you've already found things better than overeating and drinking...Being healthy is hard but you are fortunate to start so early establishing a healthy lifestyle.

I grew up with "eat whatever never gain weight" friends. Now that they are over 40, it has caught up to many of them!

Haylen

brunosbud replied to shelbyray69's response:
Is it possible that families actually care about being rude (or not) and behaving with proper etiquette while dining?

I suppose it's possible in some parts of the world...

All I can say, in my family, we deal with very important issues on a regular basis and we rely, very heavily, on each other for both laughs and support (my siblings and I just buried my father three days ago). I can just about guarantee, with zero equivocation, the very last thing on our minds when we sit down to eat, is whether we are being "rude"...

although, in retrospect, I guess I could use a plate more often...lol

Point being, we eat to live; not, vice-versa.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.