Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Obesity crisis: Could THIS cause weight gain?
bobby75703 posted:
When it comes to the battle of the bulge, we all closely examine what we put in our mouths. That's good, but there may be more to the obesity crisis than just diet and exercise.

Many blame High fructose corn sweeteners which arrived in the late 70's. Others blame this and that. But few people stop to think about something else.

Other changes since the 1970's are the switch from glass food containers to plastic. The use of plastics has skyrocketed. Plastics can contain chemicals which are endocrine disruptors. They mimic estrogen and can interfere with hormone balance, thus effecting metabolism and weight.

But its not just plastics that contain these chemicals.

Body lotions and Fragrance can contain chemicals which disrupt hormones. Lotions soak into the skin, and certain chemicals pass the skin barrier and end up in our blood streams. Fragrance is inhaled, and ends up in the blood stream.

Its not just what we eat. Its also the container it was in, plus what we apply to our skin or inhale, that ultimately ends up in our blood stream.
This ultimately effects our chemical makeup.

brunosbud responded:
I agree...

I once had a discussion with a friend about the cosmetics she used. I posed to her a simple question:

"Is it possible that the root of your health issues could be caused by chemicals that you ingest or place on your skin, regularly?"

The reaction I got from her was outrage. She asked me if I thought she was "stupid"! She then said, "Let's suppose you're right.Then, what?...What choice do I have?"

I was dumbfounded. I was shocked by her reaction. I couldn't come up with a response, I was so blind-sided by her comment.

The point is this: Nobody examines their lifestyle habits with a critical eye. What's the point? What choice do we have?

We take solace knowing there's safety in numbers.

Like lemmings...straight off a cliff.

bobby75703 replied to brunosbud's response:
brunosbub, I like your analogy "We take solace knowing there's safety in numbers......Like Lemmings, straight off a cliff. " That is such profound wisdom.

The average person most likely doesn't think about what touches their skin can pass thru the skin barrier and effect their health. But its true.

Likewise, most people don't think about the fragrance they are inhaling as ending up in their bodily tissues.

All this has the potential to throw off a person's body chemistry.

I think you had wisdom and insight to mention this to your friend.

Bobby

3point14 responded:
At what point of saturation do these things start to affect body chemistry? I'm not trying to be a jerk, and I'm not saying they don't, I'm just legitimately curious. Is it something people should be wary of day-to-day, or something that only people who live off eating precooked dinners should look into?

Also, what would you reccomend to people in general to avoid that? Again, not trying to be combative, just trying to be as healthy as possible.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to 3point14's response:
I don't doubt that the chemicals we come in contact with everyday have an impact on our health.

However, I'd say the amount of people that gain weight for reasons other than too much food/too little exercise/metabolism issues or medication is low.

H

bobby75703 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I would agree Haylen the lions share of weight gain is from the reason you cite. But I wouldn't doubt the others factors I mention play a role in making it difficult to lose weight in today's world.

bobby75703 replied to 3point14's response:
3point, I think you bring up some valid questions.

"At what point of saturation do these things start to affect body chemistry?"

My best guess is that answers varies depending on our individual make up. One person may be effected at ow doses, while another needs a lifetime of high exposure to be effected.

"Also, what would you recommend to people in general to avoid that?"

While we can't completely avoid exposure to endocrine disrupting chemicals, there is much we can do do limit our exposure. Here is a short list of simple changes that can make a big difference.

Keep in mind the greatest exposure to these chemicals is indoors. Not outside in the fresh air. The following are major offenders and constitute a major portion of indoor air pollutants that may effect metabolism or cause cancer.

* Switch to a fragrance free laundry detergent.
* Avoid using fabric softeners, liquid or sheets.
* Discontinue use of plug-in air fresheners.
* Discontinue use of scented candles.
* Switch to unscented or mildly scented bath products.
* Buy solid wood furniture, avoid particle board.
* Avoid plastic spatulas.
* Avoid PVC shower curtains, instead hang EVA curtains.
* Avoid fancy scented liquid dish detergent at the kitchen sink.
* Switch to non toxic cleansers such as Bonami scouring powder.
* Move garden chemicals, weed killers, fertilizers and such out of an attached garage and into a shed outside.

Everyone deserves to breath clean air. The above list is just a sample of little things we can do to limit exposure to chemicals which may impact out metabolism and general health.

bobby75703 replied to bobby75703's response:
The ingredient of concern in plastics and fragrances are called phthalates. These are the endocrine disruptors, effecting hormone balance.

Hormones help regulate metabolism. Metabolism impacts weight gain or loss.

This is why it is speculated that phthalates may have played a role in the obesity crisis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phthalate

brunosbud replied to bobby75703's response:
pthank you.

bobby75703 replied to brunosbud's response:
Haha! You make me phlaugh!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to bobby75703's response:
Phats funny!

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
201 of 246 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.