Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Includes Expert Content
Are my smoothies really healthy?
abbie1028 posted:
My husband and I have been trying to eat better, so he bought a smoothie machine (fancy blender). I've been making smoothies for about 2 weeks and we both love them, but I want to make sure I'm not doing harm when I think I'm helping. My smoothies usually contain
1 cup frozen unsweetened strawberries
1 cup frozen unsweetened blueberries
1 cup Activia strawberry yogurt
1 cup milk
1 medium banana
1 scoop whey protein powder
2 tbsp ground flax
We split this between the 2 of us with about a cup left over for the next day.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

rohvannyn responded:
I think it sounds like a perfectly fine, and tasty, smoothie recipe.

sarahw326 responded:
Sounds healthy to me. Are you using 1% or non-fat milk?

Tomato05 responded:
Looks healthy, as you are using food rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, protein, healthy fat and fiber. You could even add a handful of baby spinach leaves for extra boost.

As for myself, I would much rather eat the fruit and yogurt mixed with the flax separately, and have the protein powder mixed with the milk plus water later as a snack. I find eating the whole food far more satisfying, maybe because it also takes longer to eat - far greater satiety factor. Most people like smoothies though.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Tomato05's response:
This sounds good! A friend made my 7 year old a smoothie with beets and spinach and she loved it. I may have to dust off my blender and give these a try for the kids and I...

Haylen

ezrarogers responded:
These sounds good and healthy to me. And the sugar content is also not very high! Your Smoothie is healthy.

herdygerdyz1 responded:
Your smoothie sounds delicious,but I would skip the whey protein powder and replace it with greek yogurt.

Nutrition4U responded:
Hi abbie1028

Drinking smoothies, can be a healthy habit and it is a refreshing way to have enough protein, calcium and vitamins. However, I don't know why you need to have two sources of calcium i.e. yoghurt and milk. You could use just use either one preferably natural yoghurt. If you are using milk stick to skimmed or semi-skimmed if possible. Also why do you fell you have to add whey protein? That is normally taken by people who are training, such as athlets or people who may need to build up muscle. You might might be having too much protein in your smoothly, unnecessarily. The recipe you are having you be ideal if you were underweight or recovering from a period of illness where you had been unable to eat. If you are not protein or energy malnourished you don't need to enrich your drink. Finally, why add 2 tbsp of ground flax. I am aware that flaxseed is full of goodness but 2 tbsp seems a bit excessive. Flax seed contains oil which is high in calories, that will certainly not help you lose weight. I think 1 tbsp between the two of you might be adequate.

Enjoy your smoothies.

easke responded:
I have been making smoothies for several years now for the very same reason and have experimented with different fruits and ingredients. I like adding an orange to my smoothies. My favorite fruit to add to a smoothie though is frozen mango. Regardless of the fruit you select, it is a great way to get your daiily allowance of fruit.

The bigger challenge is portion control.One healthy smoothie can have as many as 250 calories or more, you want to budget your meals accordingly.

totallywiggedout responded:
I like Chocolate Silk almond milk with frozen bananas and/or strawberries plus a cup of greek yogurt .
mmmmm chocolate in the morning! And it's even good for you!
Diet and Exercise go hand in hand----
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

IBhappy responded:
This sound greats....In some fields of food thought food combinations, mixing fruits and proteins is not the best thing to do...So I have been making my smoothies with protein power, flax, ground nuts or nut butters, nut milks, nut flavorings or coco powder and little Stevia or agave. So it is more of super rich protein drink. I seems like a milk shake to me..I make my fruit smoothies with a little water and blues berries or strawberries, and a few pieces of frozen mango..I don't use banana any more, so as to keep the sugar content lower and may add some flax.. but if I add the oil, I burp it up...It did not seem go well with the fruit alone...But if only have fruit, I just await around an hour to eat my heavier foods, as fruit alone won't carry me me very far.

I also I eat my fruits in my salads but do have my lean meat protein afterward. I like the way these combos taste. But don't know how critical the combining actually is. I used to be an a devoted follower of the "rules" around food combining and found it to helped make digestion easier. But I now even mix my carbs with my proteins to try and balance my blood sugar, as this does seem get critical through my menopausal hormone changes. I still feel funny about mixing fruits in with every thing as it can give me gas. I think a few tips are helpful when my system is starting to feel bogged down. It is just what I do

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_combining

IBhappy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I love Silk almond milk! I have been blending almond butter (like raw from Traders Joes) and almond extract and a little Gounod flax. I dont need the yogurt that way..I can feel kind of congested with dairy.

Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP responded:
Hi Abbie and thanks for your posting. For both of you, I'd bump up the whey powder to 2 scoops so you have a protein smoothie--- each scoop roughly equivalent to 10 grams of protein. This way you each get at least 10 gr more from the dairy. The milk should be skim or 1%. The blueberries are superior to the strawberries in antioxidants and glycemic index. The combo's not bad. I'd us Greek yogurt plain or vanilla to cut down on extra sugar grams from the strawberry yogurt. You can also substitute chia seeds for the flax, as they have even higher proportions of healthy omega oils.

Enjoy!

Dr. Peeke

LouLou3601 replied to Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP's response:
I stopped smoking 1 year ago and put on 30lbs. I have not been able to lose it dieting. 3 weeks ago I started walking 2 to 4 miles 3 days a week and this week I thought I'd try making smoothies for my breakfast and lunch and eating a low carb dinner. I have been adding Whey powder, blueberries, banana, and silk almond milk, or silk dark chocolate whey powder and peanut butter. Will the whey powder make me gain weight. If so I need to stop adding it.

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
197 of 242 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.