Skip to content

Announcements

Were YOU Bullied Your Weight?
Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP posted:
Hi everyone. My Everyday Fitness with Dr. Pam Peeke blog this week The Triumphant Voice of a Bullied Boy hit me deeply and profoundly, as I'm sure it will everyone who reads it. Check out the YouTube video that accompanies the blog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsNlcr4frs4&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Jonathan's story has already gotten over 10 million hits. Make sure to read the countless comments as well.

The new film Bully is making national headlines. Overweight kids and teens are bullied every day, leaving wounds and scars that effect them the rest of their lives. I often hear about this from my patients, many years after the abuse. We need to figure this mental factor into the equation as adults go forward to help themselves. As well, we need to help kids and teens now in their formative years.

What about YOU? How did bullying affect you in any way, as you coursed through your childhood, adolescence, young adulthood and beyond? How did you cope and how are you coping now?

We'd love to hear from you,

Dr. Peeke

abnersmom responded:
Hi Dr. Peeke, I never thought/think of it as bullying (albeit, I guess it is), but I've certainly had my feelings hurt many times as an overweight child and adult. I remember our school principal telling my class that I could survive on a desert island longer than anyone else in the class since I was so fat. I've had rude, obscene remarks yelled at me by people in passing cars on my walks. Being overweight seems to make one a target for some people to vent their hatred or whatever it is. I'm sure these remarks have affected me in ways that I'm not even aware of, but luckily, they only sting and I have always been able to shake them off knowing that they only reflect on those people's problems, not mine. I know who I am, no matter what the scale says.

Helpful Tips

How to Decrease Your AppetiteExpert
Let's say you've already had a healthy balanced meal so that you're not hungry (hunger is a physical phenomenon and tells the body "I ... More
Was this Helpful?
274 of 339 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.