Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

My best diet tip is _______________________
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
What is the best tip or trick you use to avoid a not-so-healthy food or to eat better?

This week, I have kept a container of homemade soup in the fridge - it's filled with all sorts of yum - kale, yellow squash, garlic, etc. I have a big bowl when I get the munchies. It usually works to fill me up and makes me feel proud for getting in a rainbow of veggies.

How about you?

Haylen
FirstPrevious12NextLast

3point14 responded:
The best advice I can give is to THINK before you eat, when you eat, after you eat, and about your activity level.

Being mindful keeps me from making bad choices, keeps me from eating too much, keeps me motivated, and encourages me to work out.

My weight struggles have been pretty much all mental, I don't think I'm a "food addict" and I don't take medication that makes me gain weight or anything. It was just laziness and self-loathing that made me gain. Working on being mindful and kind to my body has done wonders.

JKhealth responded:
I've been logging everything into the WebMD Food & Fitness Planner... before I eat it for two months now. It has worked great. I know I only have 1200 calories to "spend" for the day. So I have been trying to get in as many Super Food as I can during the day.

If I really, really want that 800-calorie sandwich for lunch, then I know I have to limit my dinner to maybe just a grapefruit. I have done that a time or two and stayed below the 1200 for the day. Mostly, that sandwich isn't really worth it. If I know I'm going to eat in a restaurant, I'll check out their on-line nutrition menu before I go. So I know what I want to select will "cost" me for the day, and I make my meal choice before I even get there. Less temptation to make an off-the-cuff bad choice.

JKhealth replied to JKhealth's response:
As you might have guessed, I'm very fiscally responsible. So it's helpful for me to think of my diet in terms of a budget and only spending what I can afford.

totallywiggedout responded:
When I crave something "not so good" for me, I grab a few baby carrots and a bottle of water. After consuming those , I wait a full 10 min. Usually I find that I no longer have that "I'd kill for some chocolate" craving. I chalk it up to being either down somehow on those particular nutrients or not being hydrated enough at that moment.
Diet and Exercise go hand in hand----
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

grgram responded:
Like you, I make a big soup pot full of soup, freeze it in the large size yogurt containers so it's always on hand. I also have one or two salads every day with a wide variety of veggies and fruits. A good tip is to dip your fork in the salad dressing with each bite of salad and don't pour the dressing on the salad. I think the one tip that has done me the most good is an ironclad rule I made for myself to never eat anything after my dinner, not even a grape. Heard that from Oprah several years ago and I've done it ever since and I know it has saved me from many, many downfalls and pounds.

grgram replied to JKhealth's response:
I have to decide beforehand every day what I'm going to eat that day. I also am on a 1200 calorie per day eating plan. With that kind of restriction I make every calorie count. Only good, nutritious food and if I eat something with higher calories I always make up for it by cutting back on the next meal. And like you, it isn't worth it to do that. I also plan ahead when going to a restaurant. I usually have a salad with the dressing on the side and I decide that before I get in the restaurant just in case I weaken when looking at the menu. At home I sometimes have a baked potato with Butter Buds (the kind in the box that you mix with water and tastes like melted butter. Hard to find in the stores.) I also make coleslaw using plain non-fat yogurt instead of mayo, with vinegar and Splenda.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to grgram's response:
grgram -

Thanks for sharing - planning out a day in advance would be a huge help for me! I'm going to try it tomorrow.

Almost every restaurant has an online menu - planning what you are going to have is really smart. Those photos in the menu's have done me in before!

H

eddiev1261 responded:
I am in the process of breaking some bad habits. I found myself reading the paper while I ate lunch and dinner. My brain suddenly linked the 2 and now when I read I get hungry. My tip is that when you eat, look at every bite. Concentrate that you are taking in food. Subliminal calories killed me.

I also don't eat after 8pm, 3 hours before my 11pm bed time.

Also eat S L O W L Y so when your brain gets the "I'm full" memo, you really are full. I used to eat so fast that I would take in maybe 3 times as much food as I needed before my brain knew I was full.

I also took a look at what I was eating. I have moved to a higher protein, lower carb, lower fat diet with a lot more veggies. Baked salmon patties in a bowl of baby spinach leaf makes a GREAT dinner salad.

Tomato05 replied to eddiev1261's response:
Very good tips, Eddie.

I also make the mistake of multitasking while eating, especially on the computer - fatal.

Your dinner salad sounds nice. The recipe for the baked salmon patties would be very welcome.

eddiev1261 replied to Tomato05's response:
That particular salmon is fairly generic because it gets flaked into the spinach. Typically I grill it with just a light coat of olive oil to keep the flesh from burning and sticking to the grill.

Tomato05 replied to eddiev1261's response:
Oh thanks, I'll try it soon. I thought maybe salmon patties meant something like salmon fish cakes.

eddiev1261 replied to Tomato05's response:
That works too, Tomato. I have used those too and they are fine. I have the good fortune to live near a place where the poultry and meat store is right across from a very good fish market. I don't always buy from there because it can get expensive, but whenever I want "special" meat and fish I go to that block and hit them both. I also have a 7 Grains Natural Foods less than a mile from me where I get my whole grain and gluten free stuff.

brunosbud responded:
Best Diet Tip?

Very tough to lose weight eating food with the following labels...

"Light", "Diet", "Fat Free", "Nonfat", "Sugar Free", "All Natural", "Organic", "Healthy Immune System", "No Trans Fat", "Omega-3 Added", "Real Fruit", "Low Sodium", "Cholesterol Free", "Gluten Free"...

Easy to lose weight eating food with the following labels...

... ... ... ... ...

Helpful Tips

Olive oil versus Canola oilExpert
Both oils contain healthy monounsaturated fats but canola actually has less saturated fat than olive oil. Canola is more versatile for ... More
Was this Helpful?
203 of 248 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Everyday Fitness - Pamela Peeke, MD, MPH, FACP

Achieve a better mind-body balance and live a healthier life with tips from wellness expert Dr. Pamela Peeke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.